Author Topic: Can this Havarti be saved?  (Read 1008 times)

tally

Can this Havarti be saved?
« on: September 16, 2014, 03:09:47 AM »
I just turned my two month old Havarti and a small (about 1/2 cm) piece of wax pulled off the wheel. I melted some fresh wax and dabbed it on the hole. Do you think this will seal it? Has it been contaminated beyond redemption? Is there anything else I should do? I don't want to loose my baby, but would rather eat it early than risk it molding.

Spoons

Re: Can this Havarti be saved?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 03:37:04 AM »
Don't sweat it. It's sealed and should be ok.

The thing about wax though is that a cheese can still get mold underneath. So don't get disappointed if you do have molds on the cheese after aging even if waxed, it'll still be good. You just need to scrub it off.

Also, molds only grow on the surface. So as long as there are no cracks on the surface of the cheese, the interior will be just fine.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
Tally, in my limited experience, I've been happier when I pulled all the wax off and re-waxed, rather than trying just to patch. Again, that is based on limited experience ... YMMV.
-- Andy

tally

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
Thanks Eric and Awakephd. Since the cheese was dry (the wax stuck to the counter then pulled off when I moved it) I think I'll stick with the patch and see what happens. This is my first attempt at Havarti so I'll send some pics and let you know how the taste turns out when I open it.