Mozzerella #4

Started by John@PC, September 20, 2014, 11:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John@PC

After 3 earlier attempts I finally got a good stretch and some really good Mozz ;D.  What I learned was it doesn't take a lot of work but does takes patience to make a pulled curd cheese.  I've used pH targets before with only fair results and this one was done using the stretch-test periodically and waiting... and waiting.  Even though the curd was kept at 100F during acidification it still took 4.5 hrs. to get a good stretch.  I used Pav's recipe and liked his rather laid-back approach to the stirring regime.  Pav's recipe is here.   I've included the make log and pictures as attachments, but did insert a few selected pictures.  For awhile I've been using a 8" deep full-size for all my makes, be they 1 or 6 gal.  For this mozzerella the big pan worked good because I'm able to tilt the pan to drain the curd slab while keeping it warm.

awakephd

Okay, that last picture is just showing off!

AC4U!
-- Andy

steffb503

Yes I want that!
One day I will achieve it. But with goat milk.

ArnaudForestier

- Paul

H-K-J

Quote from: awakephd on September 21, 2014, 12:14:58 AM
Okay, that last picture is just showing off!

AC4U!

I agree with that ;D
yet I to believe you deserve a cheese
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

awakephd

Looking again closely at that picture, is there a subtle message being sent: this only happens once in a blue moon?

:)
-- Andy

Spoons

Can a man compliment another man's braid?  ;)

Nice cheese, John! great job with the stretching! Looks great! I use Pav's recipe too. I like it very much.

A cheese for you  :D

John@PC

Quote from: awakephd on September 21, 2014, 03:14:15 PM
Looking again closely at that picture, is there a subtle message being sent: this only happens once in a blue moon?

:)
I'm busted!  Actually, I was saving a Rounder Blue Moon to do my first Ouleoat but for some reason it disappeared from my fridge before I could make it ::).  Thanks for the cheeses all.  FYI Mozz 4 has died and gone to manicotti heaven along with a recent ricotta, a year+ old Parmesan. and one other from the back of the cave.