Author Topic: Early Lactation milk question  (Read 4274 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Early Lactation milk question
« on: September 21, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »
I have been volunteering recently at a farm that is commonly used for educational purposes for schools. So they breed the jersey cow to give birth in the fall, and she just did!! Volunteers (me!) get to help with milking, and can take excess milk home for personal use! I don't know how much milk I will be able to bring home versus how much the calf gets, but it will be fun to work with whatever I get. And the price is great... only my labor!  So I need to learn what will be different with early lactation milk!

I have already been bringing home small amounts of Nubian goat milk - she is 5 months into milking. I have been playing with small makes of mozzarella trying different variables.

By the way, good milking practices are used with proper cleaning of the goat and cow prior to and after collecting the milk, and careful cleaning and sterilization of collecting equipment, so I think it will be safe to use raw.
Susan

John@PC

Re: Early Lactation milk question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:28:44 AM »
I have been volunteering recently at a farm that is commonly used for educational purposes for schools.
Reminds me of something I heard today about volunteers (i.e. interns) working for Saturday Night Live that are now suing them because they didn't get paid (as Yogi Berra said) cash money :(.  At least you got paid "in kind" with the milk!

chevre au lait

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »
I won't tell you NOT to clean the udder, especially if offering raw milk products to others, but it is my *belief* that raw milk is not the red-alert risk that some people consider it to be.  That is, I haven't poisoned myself with raw milk yet, even if I've had to fish out the odd hair or speck of debris.  My reasoning is, calves and kids do fine on it, even with direct oral contact and no sanitation rituals before or after nursing; and I'm not aware of breastfeeding human mothers dousing themselves with disinfectants before nursing their babies, either.  I think there is a margin of safety if the animal is healthy, and not wet or muddy:  a quick brushing off of loose hairs and debris might be adequate, and of course using clean containers, regardless of whether intending to use the milk raw or pasteurized.  My opinion.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »
I work with a couple different farming families.  One has 3 stalls, in a kind of faux-swing system.  30ish cows.  He has 3 wash containers, 1 for each stall, filled with a kind of natural surfactant.  He will wash a cow, then re-use the same rag and washwater, for all the cows passing through this particular stall.  So the dirt and accumulated-whatever for 10ish cows, is used and re-used, throughout the milking session.

He's been doing this a long time, and has a devoted following.  I appreciate him and his family, very much, but made the tough decision to stop working with him.  I believe he's going to get someone seriously ill one day.  Beyond that, I think it a kind of hubris, to almost invite an issue that doesn't need the invite. 

Contrast it with another family, friends, really, who take every precaution - still without iodophor or any other sanitizer - to keep the process clean as possible.  A great deal of care, to ensure the milk they deliver is not only raw and natural, but safe and clean. 

I see it as an ownership of responsibility.  As milk providers, as cheese providers, whatever sanitation paradigm we embrace, we owe it to our customers to do the best job we can, to deliver healthful food.  Both these guys believe, nature tends to offer a better answer, usually; that our microbe-terrified world has made for itself almost a self-fulfilling prophecy by a flawed "germ theory" of food protocols.  But the latter fellas abide by this principle, with common sense and a sense of duty. 

I see religion in the pasteurized milk folks, I see it in the raw milk folks.  I think any of it, that devolves to a religious stance, is a red flag.
- Paul

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »
Here's a real life story for you to think about. A local farmer brought me 40 gallons of his raw milk to make a cheese under contract. The milk looked good and the pH was perfect, so we made his cheese. The next morning the cheese, still in the press, was spewing lava flows that looked like the spray foam insulation that expands to 5 times the volume. THIS WAS A COLIFORM. We threw it away, and re sanitized our entire cheese kitchen. The farmer was disappointed but we had a long, productive discussion about milking sanitation. Turns out he was milking in an open barn and the wind probably contaminated his milk with fecal matter on the dust blowing around. That "odd hair or speck of debris" could be all it takes to introduce a pathogen into the milk.

And yet none of his family, neighbors, or customers had ever gotten sick. Why? The answer is critically important for cheese making. Yes, calves and people have been drinking raw milk (often with poor sanitation) for a long time without getting sick. The mother cows teats may have E. coli or lots of other bad bugs, BUT the quantity is below a clinically significant level. In other works, there are just not enough there to make you sick. Sanitation is not critical because of the (more or less) immediate consumption. And if that milk is cooled and refrigerated properly, the bad bacteria can't reproduce quickly and remain at insignificant numbers.

HOWEVER, when you heat that same milk up to 86F for cheese making, you are creating the perfect environment for the bad bacteria to thrive. They can quickly reach clinically significant levels that can definitely make you sick. You are right. Raw milk is not the red flag, but a casual attitude towards sanitation is.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »
And back to the original question....  Anything to be aware of with the early phase of lactation when making a batch of cheese? The beautiful Jersey calf was born 5 days ago!!
Susan

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Early lactation milk is naturally richer than mid/late-season milk. Higher fat & higher proteins help calves get off to a better start. That also means that your milk is going to coagulate faster after you add rennet. You need to compensate for that by adding less rennet. How much less? Impossible to quantify without testing. Search the Forum on flocculation and you will learn how to do that.

chevre au lait

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »
Scasnerkay, I'm kind of responsible for nudging your thread away from your original question, and I'm sorry!  I hope Sailor has answered your question to your satisfaction. 

But I would like to acknowledge and thank Sailor for noting the critical point of difference, between milk and cheese:  temperature (and time).  The temperature we raise milk to, to encourage our desired bacterial cultures, is also ideal for growing those bacteria that we don't want.  Thus I see that for cheese making, the extra sanitation steps in milking are desirable.  (But I'll still drink the milk without taking extra steps.)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 01:12:47 AM »
Finished machine milking the lovely Jersey today at about 11:00, and put the milk in the ice chest with a little ice. Added a quart jar of hand milked goat milk to the ice chest at 11:40, and then drove home, getting home about 12:30.  Definitely not enough ice to actually chill the milk. The temp of my combined 3 gallons of milk was about 70 degrees, and the pH when I got it back up to 85 degrees was 6.5. I think the bacteria were already working!! Pressing on... I did add less rennet than usual because of Sailor's instruction and because I was concerned that adding the rennet at 6.4 was going to flocculate fast. I used 2 ml for the 3 gallons, and flocculation was in 7 mins. Not terrible, but could have been worse!  I love new experiences!!  And learning to milk the Jersey and bring home the milk is just great!  Next time, more ice!
Susan

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
Early lactation milk is naturally richer than mid/late-season milk. Higher fat & higher proteins help calves get off to a better start. That also means that your milk is going to coagulate faster after you add rennet. You need to compensate for that by adding less rennet. How much less? Impossible to quantify without testing. Search the Forum on flocculation and you will learn how to do that.

I'd actually say it's the opposite - you're going to get much greater volumes of milk during early lactation (we typically test at about +/- 3.5% solids at this point).  As you move towards late lactation, the volumes drop, but your solids go up - we've tested as high as 6.5% fat and protein after 8 months of lactation.

The qualities of the milk will also depends on the feeding regime - we find we get a beautiful milk in early spring (March/April) when the grasses are waking up and the girls are out on pasture.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »
Only 2 points of comparison from my experience, both with raw jersey milk, 2 different cows, with 2 different types of feeding program. With this early milk (one week post birth) 3 gallons of milk yielded 3 # of cheese (caerphilly). With the other cow which was mid/late cycle, 3.25 gallons yielded 4.5 # cheese (gouda). I will likely have the opportunity of following the milk for several months, so it will be interesting to see how it changes.
Susan

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »

I'd actually say it's the opposite - you're going to get much greater volumes of milk during early lactation (we typically test at about +/- 3.5% solids at this point).  As you move towards late lactation, the volumes drop, but your solids go up - we've tested as high as 6.5% fat and protein after 8 months of lactation.

The qualities of the milk will also depends on the feeding regime - we find we get a beautiful milk in early spring (March/April) when the grasses are waking up and the girls are out on pasture.

My experience is this - presuming a seasonal calving regime, freshening in Spring. 

Early milk is a bit odd - fairly high solids content, but also off flavors, potentially, as colostrum is finally shelved off and pastures start to wake up - early paddocks can lend some trippy flavors, in my experience.  Hadn't thought of it in this way, but what Sailor is saying makes sense to me, on this stage.  Evolution must allow for decent nutritional plane for young calves.

On into mid lactation, solids content drops to its lowest during the lactation, but pasture aromatics are at their keenest, especially if there has been a strong Spring flush and we're blessed with plenty of rain, over the summer.  My favorite time to make cheese (alpines - I try really hard to be as transparent as possible). Great time to do scalded, long-cooked cheeses - lots of water.

Late lactation, milk is its richest, creamiest, highest solids content.  Diminishing aromatics, as botanicals and pasturing wanes.  Curds tend to be fairly weak, so I prefer to make softer, stinkier cheeses at this time.
- Paul

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
In the case of the cow that I have access to, the seasonal approach is off! She just calved, and since we have a (perennial) drought in California, she is being fed dried alfalfa and forage hay. So none of those lovely grassy flavors....  The other experience with a different cow, she had a spring birth, and is fed lots of stuff from the garden with pumpkins and beets, etc.  Though the cheeses I made with each are different varieties, and will be ready in different months, it will be interesting to see how the flavors come through.
Susan

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »
That will be fun to hear about, Susan.  Cheese to you!
- Paul