Author Topic: I am worried about salting by hand !  (Read 849 times)

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
I am worried about salting by hand !
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:29:27 AM »
Hello Friends,

I want to try to salt my cheeses by hand instead of brining, but I am concerned about salting either too much or not enough. I just salted my Boursault of 450 g with 9 g of cheese salt.

If I salt the cheese too much, will it reject the excess salt or absorb it and get too salty.
Freaking out !  :o

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: I am worried about salting by hand !
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:02:21 AM »
Hand salting is a bit of an art and a bit touchy feely. I'm unfamiliar with the cheese but I'll start with  - It depends.  Sorry I don't mean to be flippant but
1.  What is the overall target for your cheese? Long aged, washed rind, waxed ?  For example a Manchago is brine salted to help set up the rind for a longer aging with no coatings yet I hand salt my Camemberts as using brine make them too salty- for me anyway.
2.  Was salt added to the curds before pressing? If so I wouldn'd freak out.  If it wasn't then 1-2% of the cheese used a a guide on how much salt to use and by the looks of the cheese it's right on the money, so 9 grams isn't too much - might actually be a little light :), see next point.
3.  Was the cheese 'wet' when you salted it? If so you might actually have lost some salt as the whey drains and you may actually need to add more.

Don't freak out . . I think it's all fine

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: I am worried about salting by hand !
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 06:10:09 AM »
Just a had a quick search and being a 'Bloomy' you will need salt to set the outside up for the mold anyway. So, by comparison I use 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt per 200 gm Cam and they come out wonderful. - Don't sweat it it will be fine - do you have your make notes/Receipe.  I love Bloomy rind cheese and would love to give this a go.. A Cheese for you .

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !