Author Topic: My first Tomme  (Read 1107 times)

tally

My first Tomme
« on: September 25, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »
I'm so new to cheesemaking that the learning curve is still quite steep. I made a Tomme yesterday using Caldwell's recipe from her fantastic book. I had cut the curd and was holding the temp at 100 F when I checked the pH. It was at 5.2 already! Agh, what to do! Then I remembered Geanaclis said that if that happens, remove some of the whey and replace with water. Magic! (for me anyway). The pH went to 5.45 and the rest of the make proceeded flawlessly. I know this is no big deal for most of you, but it was a real magical moment for me. I feel like I'm really learning to make cheese not just following a recipe.
BTW, how do you pronounce Geanaclis? I'm saying it Geeah-nahklis. Is that right?

Pjfraser82

Re: My first Tomme
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:01:43 AM »
Hi Tally,

Great work, its good when you start to get things worked out and take steps to fix problems on your own.

I just cracked my first Tomme tonight and it worked out great. Have a look a this post, might help you. I had my humidity too high to start with and it caused me problems. Salvaged it trough the help of the forum though and its really tasty.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13759.msg105077.html#msg105077