Author Topic: Ullmers Dairy Equipment  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
Ullmers Dairy Equipment
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:36:32 AM »
I am trying to start a cheese business finally.  I have been looking around on the web for a cheese press that is just right for my operation.  Ullmers Dairy Equipment had one that looked good to me, but the price seems very low for an all stainless steel piece of equipment.  They wanted 3600 dollars for a double headed press on wheels. 

The question is has anyone dealt with Ullmers before.  I live in Utah so I can't just run to there store and look at what they have. 
Also I found the same picture Here http://www.schiercompany.com/pictures/cheese/71137.jpg  of the press that they emailed to me from another company, Is that something to worry about?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Ullmers Dairy Equipment
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
Uhlmers is a great company, BUT you are buying used equipment. Caveat emptor.

My milk inspector will turn down any stainless with rust. Before you buy you should talk to your local inspector.

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
My milk inspector will turn down any stainless with rust.
Hey Sailor, your in the cheese navy.  Just slap on some Navel Jelly :).  Wait, phosphoric acid has a health hazard of 3 (out of 4) :o?  Nevermind ::).

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »
I am trying to start a cheese business finally.  I have been looking around on the web for a cheese press that is just right for my operation.  Ullmers Dairy Equipment had one that looked good to me, but the price seems very low for an all stainless steel piece of equipment.  They wanted 3600 dollars for a double headed press on wheels. 

The question is has anyone dealt with Ullmers before.  I live in Utah so I can't just run to there store and look at what they have. 
Also I found the same picture Here http://www.schiercompany.com/pictures/cheese/71137.jpg  of the press that they emailed to me from another company, Is that something to worry about?

What sort of quantities of cheese will you be producing and what sort of pressure do you require?

We use a very simple (and inexpensive) method for pressing - we cluster our large cheese molds in groups of 3-5, put a dishwasher tray on top to distribute the weight, and then stack 4-gallon buckets of water on top.  It's cheap, effective, and easily cleaned and sourced.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:59:29 AM »
I am planning on making mainly cheddar and Colby style cheese.  I would need to be able to press 40lbs of curd at the least and 150 at the most.  I would mostly be using 40lb Wilson style hoops. 

I will also make sure that I talk to the inspector first.  I would hate to spend that kind of money on something that I would not be able to use. 

Thanks for the help

terry@dairy fab

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:34:55 AM »
Chetty, I agree with Sailor. Ullmers is a great company. They are only 90 minutes north of me. I have not bought from them personally, but have always heard good things about them, and would use them if the need arose.

terry@ Dairy Fab
www.curdknives.com

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
I would bet they would offer some type of guarantee if you asked.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »
I am going to get the inspector to look at the press and make sure he will accept it.  If he will I think I will get it.  Thanks for all the help.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 10:31:30 PM »
Margaret at Glengarry has launched a new online ordering system.

Click here: Glengarry

She has a brand new 2 piston press for just $3995 Canadian or $3580 USD.