Author Topic: First Camembert  (Read 1156 times)

PacoSEDG

First Camembert
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
Paco, I'd say go for it!

I waited quite a while to make a camembert style, thinking it would be a very advanced cheese. In my experience, not so much - you really don't need to worry about tracking the pH, because you are going to let the pH bottom out. For the same reason, timing is pretty flexible, especially once it goes into the molds. No pressing (usually - :)). It seems to tolerate being made "improperly" as I do, with rather shattered curds (I only have P&H milk here, sadly) and the wrong size molds (rather than tall ~100mm diameter molds, I'm using rather short 150mm diameter molds - 3 of these for a make with 2 gallons (8 l) of whole milk + 1 pt (500 ml) of heavy cream). To get the curds into the mold, I have to drain the curds for a good bit of time in a colander lined with cheesecloth -- no recipe ever includes that step! Surely all of this is going to leave the curds way too dry?? Apparently not - despite all the things I do "wrong," the results are heavenly!

You do need a way to ripen the cheese with high humidity ... which is difficult to achieve in my ex-wine-fridge-turned-cheese-cave. But no problem - I bought inexpensively plastic containers at Walmart, and ripen the cheese in those until well covered in PC (wiping out the moisture and flipping every day). Then I wrap and finish ripening in the kitchen refrigerator - I like the slower ripening that that provides. When I don't have cheese ripening paper on hand, I just keep them in the plastic containers--but the cheese paper is nice because otherwise you still have to wipe excess moisture out of the containers, though only every other day or so.

Now I consider this to be my "late afternoon" cheese, meaning that while with most cheeses I like to start in the morning to be sure I have enough time, with this cheese I can start late afternoon and not worry about being up too late. Theoretically it is supposed to be flipped every 15-30 minutes multiple times once it goes in the mold. Nah - as long as I get it flipped a couple of times to even out the surface, it doesn't seem to matter to just leave it over night, and then flip it in the morning to rest for another 12 hours before starting to salt it. So, so easy - and it is ready to eat in 6-7 weeks - and it tastes so, so good.

So, go for it! :)

After this wonderful encouragement I could not try to make this cheese  ^-^

I used 4 litres of a local pasteurized milk (10km away from my house) and a pint of heavy cream

I did not have the cultures for the surface mold, so I got them from a brie I had bought and made a starter

Here we go...

More than a bit messy, I hope this gets better...

Later, that day

Some days after...

Still waiting

And waiting

This looks good to me, but it has to mature a bit, I will let you know how this comes out.

Thank you Andy!

rgreenberg2000

Re: First Camembert
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 07:57:54 PM »
Paco, that's looking great!!!!  This whole cheesemaking thing really teaches you patience (or helps you learn how to live with it better......)  I will finally get to open my first cheese tomorrow (camembert)!

Definitely let us know how this turns out!

Rich

PacoSEDG

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 08:44:46 PM »
Thank you Rich, I will let you know  :)

(English is not my mother tongue, so please forgive me if I made mistakes)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 10:56:12 PM »
Looks great! I just gave you a cheese for the cheddar, so have to wait another hour before I can give you another. One on the way ...
-- Andy

PacoSEDG

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »
Looks great! I just gave you a cheese for the cheddar, so have to wait another hour before I can give you another. One on the way ...

Thank you Andy! I did not make both of them on the same day, but I am bit of a lazy guy for posting  ::)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »
Okay, I'm now able to give you the cheese! And I certainly understand about posting. And I like seeing the cheese as it is well along the way, so all is good!
-- Andy