Author Topic: Dealing with waste whey/brine when using off-grid drainage?  (Read 1328 times)

DanielCoffey

Dealing with waste whey/brine when using off-grid drainage?
« on: December 06, 2020, 08:04:39 PM »
I have some questions for folks who make their own cheeses at home but are connected to private Waste Treatment units rather than the Mains Waste service.

How do you dispose of your brine and whey?

The reason that I am asking is because when we moved into our new-build property it had a private aerobic waste treatment system connected to an anaerobic filter before any waste could be released. We were given very strict admonitions not to put ANY fats down the drain as well as no bleaches and also no milk products. This last was because apparently the tank bacteria find milk proteins "hard to digest".

For the past three years we have followed this guidance and have been praised at clean-out time for the lack of "crust" on the tank which fats would have produced as well as the good health of the tank bacteria due to the obvious lack of household bleaches.

Now we are looking at making (initially) cream cheeses at home for the two of us and this brings me to consider what effect this will have on our waste tank. There will be whey, possibly some brine and of course I will have to sanitise all our equipment.

Will I be breaking the "no milk products" rule with the whey or is it the "cheese" part of the milk that the tank will be having to work hard to digest? What about fats accumulating? Will sanitising with boiling water and white vinegar be sufficient? Will the tank be upset by brines once I get to that type of cheeses because we cannot tip that waste onto the soil either?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:20:08 PM by DanielCoffey »

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Dealing with waste whey/brine when using off-grid drainage?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 09:09:11 PM »
Definitely no whey down the drain. Dilute it and spread on your lawn, garden, compost, etc. It's great for plants in modest quantities. Most commercial cheesemakers spray it on their pastures if they don't have pigs.

The small amount of beach you will be using should not be an issue. It quickly neutralizes when it comes into contact with organic matter.  You only need 1-2 T for 1/2-1 gallon of sanitizing solution. Of course boiling is always a great option.

Brine is generally reused. Keep it in the fridge and add more salt as needed. 

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 03:13:51 AM »
Someone here also suggested soup.  It's basically just water with lactose/lactic acid after all.  Also pancakes, or really anywhere that you want some acidity.

Offline pickles

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • ancient dabbler
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 05:16:52 AM »
Someone here also suggested soup.  It's basically just water with lactose/lactic acid after all.  Also pancakes, or really anywhere that you want some acidity.

Here's a recipe I posted elsewhere. It is an excellent way to use up left over whey. This soup is uncomplicated and produces good results every time. The whey isn't essential but does add tastiness.

MUSHROOM ONION SOUP with WHEY
This is easy, made it again and again, so tasty, you will come back for more.

Prep: 10 Mins   Cook: 25 Mins   Easy   Serves 2  [step up the quantities for more servings and freeze if you like]

INGREDIENTS

1.5 oz   butter
1          medium onion, roughly chopped
1          small garlic clove, crushed
9 oz      mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tbsp   plain flour [all purpose flour]
2 cups  whey [or chicken stock]
1          bay leaf

2 tbsp   single cream [optional]
small handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, to serve (optional)

METHOD

Heat the butter in a large pan (I use a wok) and cook the onions and garlic until soft but not browned, about 8-10 mins.

Add the chopped mushrooms and cook over a high heat for another 3 mins until softened.
Sprinkle over the flour and stir to combine.
Pour in the whey [or chicken stock], bring the mixture to the boil, then add the bay leaf and simmer for another 10 mins.

Remove and discard the bay leaf, then take the mushroom mixture from the heat and blitz using a hand blender until smooth.
Gently reheat the soup and stir through the cream (or, you could freeze the soup at this stage – simply stir through the cream when heating).
Scatter over the parsley, if you like, and serve with fresh bread.

---

*addition* oops... I just noticed Bantams, who is far more expert than I, already covered these points.
Incidentally, please someone correct me if I am wrong, as far as I understand it, brine can be stored and re-used. After use it will be necessary to add salt to replace that used in processing, but the salt solution can be bottled until next time. Also as far as I know a little vinegar or acidification will help with preservation. If no-one here has anything to add it might be as well to search up info on salt solutions for cheesemaking I'm sure there is much info both in general on line and also in this Forum.

I suppose going to extremes you could leave the brine out in a large flat open container and as it evaporates remove and dispose of the crystals in everyday trash.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 05:35:01 AM by pickles »

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 07:18:57 AM »
Thank you all for confirming what I was told about the disposal issue for the milk products. I am pleased that we have been following good advice for the past three years. It is also handy to know that we can cook with it if we want... the soup is intriguing and I didn't realise it could go in pancakes (which normally use milk of course).

Being able to reuse the brine is great and not something that I had heard explicitly mentioned before. Now all I need to do is find a source in the UK for the boxes that Gavin uses when brining. They just look like smaller versions of his maturation boxes. Argh! Must stop! Heading dangerously into Cheese Cave territory here before I have even received my first order for  my first batch of soft cheeses!

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 12:15:54 PM »
We have used the why in soups regularly - unless the soup recipe calls for a beef broth!   ;D - Also, as Bantams mentioned, there is no need to throw out the brine, keep reusing it and add salt regularly. I filter it on occasion as milk solids accumulate in it. But that's it. No waste from either of these.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »
Thanks. I suspect the whey will be good in bread too, especially if it came from a batch of cultured milk.

My cheese supplies are on their way and I have ordered extra milk plus a big tub of cream since I am due to make another batch anyway.

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »
What about Septic Systems.... ie a conventional, multi-section tank and disposal field.... any problems with that disposing of whey?....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
My installer said it was the first tank bacteria that had the hard time digesting the milk products and also needed to not get fatty.

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 09:57:06 PM »
I have asked our Septic installer/serviceman specifically about our situation.... We have a system designed for our own use, plus a 3-unit Motel (a total of 4 bedrooms), about 1500 gal. total tank volume, in 3 sections.... We make one batch of cheese a week, from 8.5-9 litres of milk, so produce at the most 2 gallons of whey a week.... I'll let your know what he says....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!