Author Topic: If you had to choose one culture?  (Read 3251 times)

qdog1955

If you had to choose one culture?
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »
  I'm pretty sure that many a newbie to cheese making has this same question. Most recipes call for a Mesophilic or thermophilic culture---period , that's it.
     Just for fun---let's say some Deity---will call--- him/her---Cheesehead----drops you off on a desert island. He will provide you with everything you need to make various cheeses, except a PH meter. The only caveat ---is you have to choose one meso. and one thermo. culture. 
   What would you choose and why?
    Now I am aware that some of you out there have an expertise that goes far beyond my humble I.Q. ( I have read about everything you have posted)  ----Let's see some answers that us layman can understand-----PLEASE.
 Qdog

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: If you had to choose one culture?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
MA4001, and Alp D.  Both are a nice blend of species in their temp range, have components that extend that temp range, and can handle several cheeses, several styles and textures.  I betray in particular my bias towards Savoie cheeses, but both can be useful in playing with much more. 
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »
MA4001, and Alp D. 
I agree with Paul with the mesophillic but I honestly don't know (but probably should) what is a  Alp D is ???.  I've attached my little cheat sheet and would agree with Paul as long as you don't include the fresh cheeses.  A question that's always been on my mind is that most of the culture blends are made up of only 7 or 8 types of bacteria:  for Mesos:    LL, LC, LD, LM  and for Thermos: ST, LH, LB.  I know I may be leaving some out but the question is why we can't buy the individual types and blend our own (saying this waiting for the old cheeses coming down on me like a ton of brick cheeses ???).  I'm guessing here that (1) the blends are closely guarded secrets, or (2) it's a marketing ploy to have you keep 50 different cultures in your freezer instead of 6 or 7.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:05:46 AM »
MA4001, and Alp D. 
I agree with Paul with the mesophillic but I honestly don't know (but probably should) what is a  Alp D is ???.  I've attached my little cheat sheet and would agree with Paul as long as you don't include the fresh cheeses.  A question that's always been on my mind is that most of the culture blends are made up of only 7 or 8 types of bacteria:  for Mesos:    LL, LC, LD, LM  and for Thermos: ST, LH, LB.  I know I may be leaving some out but the question is why we can't buy the individual types and blend our own (saying this waiting for the old cheeses coming down on me like a ton of brick cheeses ???).  I'm guessing here that (1) the blends are closely guarded secrets, or (2) it's a marketing ploy to have you keep 50 different cultures in your freezer instead of 6 or 7.

Hey John - yep, totally agree on the fresh cheeses.  It would be nice to have a single thing to do it all, just when you want some cheese and don't want to work at it!

The cultures provided by Danisco et al:  not only are the ratios different among the different culture blends, but there are several strains of any one species.  So though you may see the same species, it's anyone's guess as to what is really going on in terms of their "recipe" of ratios, and particular strains.  I should say, I like doing my own blends, when I'm using cultures and not my raw milk's indigenous flora.  Especially morge blends, which probably looks to most like a kitchen-sink approach.  There is method to my madness!  So, yep, blending is fun, right there with you. :)
- Paul

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:27:44 AM »
Meso for me - non gas producing - cos when the power goes out you can still heat milk in the hot sand to a great range enough to get the little bugs to start creating lactic acid no gas to 'Blow' the cheese up.  Which Island ? I like Australia !!!!!   8).

--Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
A really good question even if you're not on a desert island. Gianaclis Caldwell recommends a basic three: Flora Danica, MA 4000 series and Thermo B.
(I'll second Mal's choice of island.)
- Andrew

qdog1955

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »
  John---thanks for the chart----didn't have that one in my notebook.
Thanks Paul and all----finally some info for us rookies.
 And to the guys down under---thanks for the info---by the way, that's one heck of a BIG island-----it's always been number one on my list to visit---but what's with all those poisonous snakes?  Did St. Patrick move all the snakes in Ireland to Australia? And funnel web spiders----I think I'll stick to our earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes.

Qdog

Alpkäserei

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:00:40 PM »
Chances are, your remote little Island has all the cultures you need already  ;)
Sorry, just had to

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
  ---but what's with all those poisonous snakes?  Did St. Patrick move all the snakes in Ireland to Australia?
He did, as a matter of fact. Don't let that worry you though. They're well trained: they don't bite visitors unless we tell them to. >:D
- Andrew