Author Topic: Velveeta Colby?  (Read 1988 times)

qdog1955

Velveeta Colby?
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:54:31 PM »
  Just opened a 4lb. Colby after 6 weeks in cave----had some small holes, appeared to be mechanical----the flavor was wonderful, just like Colby-----unfortunately the texture was like Velveeta and I mean exactly like Velveeta----doesn't melt like it though.
  The recipe was from Carrol's online store and the make went well ---except she calls for lowering the whey twice, first time adding 75 degree water to lower temp to 80 t0 85 degrees ----second time lower whey and add 60 degree water to lower temp to 75 degrees---I ran out of enough cold water to get that low and only got down to 79 degrees.
   Could the 4 degree discrepancy been the cause of the Velveeta texture or was something else causing this? Has anyone else run into this?
Please don't tell me I've accidentally created a Frankenstein cheese.   VELVEETA-COLBY-------Save Me!!!

Qdog

Spoons

Re: Velveeta Colby?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:53:09 AM »
Do you mean "Soft and moist" as opposed to "Semi-hard and moist" as it should be?

I don't think its the slight difference in cold water. Maybe its too much whey retention (rennet time, cutting, stirring).

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
   Yes, it's very soft. Went back over notes---unfortunately, this was before I started keeping really detailed notes and using  floc. method. I did notice the recipe called for 1 tsp. rennet and for some reason I used 3/4 tsp. Could that have been the problem? As far as stirring-- being a newbie I tend to stir to much, but wouldn't that lead to a drier cheese?

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
If your stirring is ok, then I think its the coagulation time before cutting and also possibly the cutting size. So yes, using floc method would eliminate one potential problem area that affects moisture. Also 3/4 tsp sounds about right for 16 liters, but always use the amount indicated on the bottle, not the recipe.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »
  --unfortunately the texture was like Velveeta and I mean exactly like Velveeta----doesn't melt like it though.
Not classic colby but sounds interesting.  I like to keep some Velveeta around to mix with my cheeses and milk to make a quick sauce or dip. Gives the nice texture of melted Velveeta but the taste of my cheese.  Do you still have the cheese?  Would be interesting to see a picture.

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
  John---here's a picture of the Franken-Colby---- It got a little squished from the vac. bagging----I wish it did melt like Velveeta, I tried , it doesn't.  Won't go to waste though, the flavor is great----I'll have to Cracker-tize it-----how do you like that word?

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the picture - definitely worth a cheese :D even though it doesn't look quite like a classic Colby.   I've not tried a cold-curd-wash cheese yet but now I'm more inclined to give it a go.  If mine came out like that I would pleased.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »
I've had gouda/edam/havarti types come out softer than expected, Velveeta like. As mentioned, too much moisture may be a problem. But also to note, less acidification factors into a softer cheese; more acidification, more crumbly. So your very soft Colby may not have acidified enough in the vat, as well.