Author Topic: Ale Washed Rind Cheese 1  (Read 5381 times)

John@PC

Ale Washed Rind Cheese 1
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
This recipe is from Caldwell's book and is for Pholia Farm's Ale Washed Rind Cheese.  Always wanted to do an ale washed stinky cheese so it was time. This is the first time in a long time using a round 12 qt. pot (in order to test some equipment) but it reminded me why I like the rectangular pans, especially after dribbling the whey over clean dishes in the sink when pouring  :(.  Other than that all went well except I missed the 2:5 height-to-dia. form-factor target (should have gone with a 6" dia. mold).

Ingredients:
- 2 gal. LTP / NH milk from Hickory Hill Farms, SC
- MM100 (1/4 tsp)
-  PLA (1/8 tsp))
-  Calcium Chloride (1/2 tsp)
-  Single strength rennet (1/4 tsp)
-  Heavy brine

Make:
  Warmed milk to 88F
  Added cultures; let rehydrate 5 min. (pH 6.6)
  Stir in with wisk
  Let still 1 hr. to ripen (pH 6.4 at end of ripening)
  Add NaCl diluted in 1/4 cup cool non-chlorinated water and stir
  Add single strength rennet diluted in 1/4 cup cool non-chlorinated water and stir
  Floc occured at 8 min.
  Used floc factor of 3.5 so total wait time for curd formation was 28 min.
  Cut curds into 1/2" cubes (pH 6.2)
  Rest 5 min.
  Increase temperature to 98 over 30 min. while stirring
  Removed from heat and let curds settle 10 min.
  Poured off most of whey and transferred curds to 8" dia. perforated cylinder mold with top and bottom follower
  Let drain 5 min. and turned mold; added top follower to apply approx 1 lb. weight (pH 5.9)
  Leave in mold until target pH of 5.4 turning every hour os so
  Brined in heavy brine for 2 hr.
  Plan to put in 55F @ 95% RH mini-cave; wash twice weekly with brine solution (2 tsp. salt for 12 oz. ale).

I'm going to use Yeungling for the ale (so I guess it will be a lager-washed cheese).  I'll post make log and pH chart as soon as it goes into the brine.

tally

Re: Ale Washed Rind Cheese 1
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
John, when you use a curd cutter in a round pot do you rotate it from a central axis? I can't wait to hear how it tastes.

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:29:19 PM »
John, when you use a curd cutter in a round pot do you rotate it from a central axis?
Tally, you have asked a great question that unfortunately I can't answer in detail because I'm still testing (and that may give you a hint).   I'll post in a separate topic at some point.  I will say that the nice thing about a rectangular pan is that you can cut in x, y and z directions and get excellent results very quickly, but since most people have and use round pots I always wanted to find an easy (and quick) way to at least cut the difficult horizontal cuts in a round pot. 

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »
Almost a month now after washing 2x per week.  Nicely red and smells wonderful!  This is my first ale washed rind so I'm not sure how far to take it (Caldwell just says "age until desired texture) ???.

andreark

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
John,

I just started one of the Pholia Farm's Ale Washed Rind Cheese yesterday.  In her book, she says to unmold it when the PH reaches 5.3 or 5.4. She then says that this should take 4 to 6 hours.  I filled the molds at about at 7 PM and it took until 5:00 AM to reach 5.4. It took almost
10 hours to reach the desired PH. 

Did this particular step take as long for you?

andreark

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
I just started one of the Pholia Farm's Ale Washed Rind Cheese yesterday.  In her book, she says to unmold it when the PH reaches 5.3 or 5.4. She then says that this should take 4 to 6 hours.  I filled the molds at about at 7 PM and it took until 5:00 AM to reach 5.4. It took almost
10 hours to reach the desired PH. 

Did this particular step take as long for you?
andreark
Mine was much like yours and took overnight so somewhere between 8 and 10 hr.  to reach target pH (by measuring whey drained).  How long do you plan to age your's Andrea?

andreark

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 05:44:02 AM »
Haven't a clue....Let us know your progress.  Then maybe I'll have an idea.

Andrea

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
We've been out of town and unfortunately I didn't transfer my ale-washed cheese to a spruce board (I don't mind the markings from the egg-crate trays but they WILL stick if left too long).  Anyway the top looks great, but as you can see the bottom not-so.  The good news is that was able to sample those "missing" squares (kind of like a surface rind cheese trier :)) and it was delicious!  Bad news was that there are those holes with an unusual upward-curling light-orange mold growth that I've never seen before ::).  Anyway Andrea I could tell the cheese was progressing well and I wrapped it in cheese paper and put it in the fridge for a Thanksgiving "cut".

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
John, I hadn't ever seen someone wash the rind with mustard before. :)
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »
Does look like a stroke of photoshop mustard :).  I was disappointed  and mad at myself for not flipping as I should have so wanted to put on a "happy face".  Then again from the smell and the sampling this may be the best tasting washed rind cheese I've made (fingers crossed).

qdog1955

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
John----nice cheese----surprised that Yeungling beer ( a central Pa. brand)  has reached South Carolina----they claim to be the oldest beer in America? Maybe you should try a fresher beer :)
Qdog

John@PC

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »
John----nice cheese----surprised that Yeungling beer ( a central Pa. brand)  has reached South Carolina----they claim to be the oldest beer in America? Maybe you should try a fresher beer :)
Qdog
Had my first Yeungling in Va. Beach about 14 yrs. ago.  For the money it's the best non-premium domestic lager, at least in these parts. Meant to use a IPA but for some reason it dissappeared ::).  By the way I had a friend who love my stinky cheeses drop by and a cut a quarter round for them.  Smells great but I wrapped the rest to save for our Thanksgiving desert cheese.  I did snap a picture though.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 11:11:59 PM »
Looks wonderful, John!  And I'm sorry to say I've never had the pleasure of Yuengling's - but have always loved their story.  Fromage to you for this interesting make!
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »
We cut a piece of this and sampled for Thanksgiving eve and it was terrific.  Even my wife who isn't a big fan of stinky cheeses loved it after she got it past her nose.  Actually a very mild flavor with a nice, more intense- but-sweet finish.   I think total time in cave was 5 weeks and in fridge 2 weeks and it couldn't be better.  Will be interesting how well it progresses over the holidays  :).