Author Topic: Brie 5 (using bad form)  (Read 1306 times)

John@PC

Brie 5 (using bad form)
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »
This is an American brie of the common variety I made for my wife (she likes the simple stuff).  I wasn't going to post when I made it because (1) I screwed up on the forming badly and (2), well, it's a brie :).  However, I just pulled it out and cut it for the first time (after two weeks in cave and two weeks in cheese-paper in the fridge) and I have to say it is one of the best I've made so I wanted to give the ugly-duckling details.

I had the "good" idea to do a truncated conical shape like the bloomy rind "Summit" in Caldwell's book (pg 187). However I had the "bad" idea to make one cheese with a gallon of milk.  You can tell from the pictures pretty much what happend, and by the time I poured the curds into the funnel I realized this wasn't going to work with the cross section being so large.  I decided to try to save so I plopped the little mountain top side down in a 2L Kadova gouda form.  It made for an unconventionally dish-shaped cheese but after I cut it I thought this would be perfect to put a layer of blueberry or other sauce in the "dish" when serving.

Next time if I try an ash-coated conical I'll split into 4.

beechercreature

Re: Brie 5 (using bad form)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »
forget the shape, that looks delicious!

tally

Re: Brie 5 (using bad form)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:12:29 AM »
John, I've messed up two batches of brie so far. :'( Would you mind posting the recipe? I could sure use some help.