Author Topic: Going to make a cheese stamp? Brand-er?  (Read 1625 times)

qdog1955

Going to make a cheese stamp? Brand-er?
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »

Decided to make a cheese stamp-----don’t even know what they are called (let me know).  I only ever saw one cheese that had an impression in it, thought it looked pretty neat, so I’ll give it a try and experiment a little.
See Photos.
  Started out with two pieces of thin hard maple and glued them with the grain running in opposite directions. Made a paper pattern of my initials (could be most any design). Drilled holes and cut with jewelers saw trying to keep a slight bevel at the top to aid in release from cheese. Filed and sanded letters and glued to back piece.
  Now, I could have stopped there and sealed the wood and give it a try. But being a metal worker, I decided to cast it in pewter. Pewter is a very acid and salt resistant metal---easy to work with---easy to sterilize.
  Used the wood pattern and made a high temp. Silicone mold and cast my piece. That’s when I realized my rookie mistake (and I’ve been doing this stuff for 35 years) shame on me!! I forgot to mirror image my pattern. Always check your pattern in the mirror when it’s being used to emboss anything, it will immediately show if anything on your pattern is backwards, especially letters. I have included some photos demonstrating this.
  MADE ANOTHER ONE!!!!
Tried it this past weekend on a pepper jack. Coated the brand with a little coconut  oil to aid in release. On the last pressing, I placed the brand on the cheese, covered with the cheese cloth and the follower. When done pressing, brand removed easily and left a nice impression. Unfortunately, all the pepper makes it a little hard to see in the photo.
  The next one, I will probably make a little thinner, I don’t think the impression has to be quite as deep, and I think I’ll try a much simpler pattern---like a Sun or Moon.     Have to see what it looks like when it has dried more.

John@PC

Re: Going to make a cheese stamp? Brand-er?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:28:20 PM »
That's certainly worth a cheese qdog.  Did you run it over with the truck to make the impression ;D?

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »
  Was thinking of putting a cheese hood ornament on the Willys---actually I placed the wrong pic--just now trying to figure out how to remove it.
Obviously I'm not that computer savvy!!

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
PLEASE don't delete the Willy's (it encourages members to thoroughly read your post to see why it's there!).  But if it happens again or if you want to change (or add to) your post there is a modify button at (if I remember right) the top right and/or bottom right of your post.  It doesn't say modify but if you hover over the icon you will see it.  I