Author Topic: Making a Wine Cheese  (Read 2318 times)

Zinger

Making a Wine Cheese
« on: March 28, 2009, 02:37:28 PM »
I saw a video clip on Cahill's Porter and Wine Cheese making in Ireland and am intrigued with the idea. Anyone have any thoughts as to any recipes? I think I have figured it out from watching the video, but would welcome your thoughts and comment.

Following is the link to this video clip.

http://www.niallh.com/cahills-cheese-video-interview/

Thanks.

makkonen

Re: Making a Wine Cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »
There's been a little effort made toward something like this. Not sure about wine, but of those cahill's porter cheeses.

A description and an attempt with some great discussion of methods.

Zinger

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »
My attempt at a wine cheddar thus far has mixed results. The curd is not well meshed, but I tasted a little piece of the cheese that broke off when I removed it from the press (as I usually do with all my cheeses) and it definitely has a better taste than my other cheeses at this very early stage. It will be interesting to see what a few months does.

I have had a thought as to this process. What does anyone think about making a ricotta that is blended with wine and then pressing that "wine ricotta" into my cheddar?

BTW Here is my wine cheddar one day out of the press.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:36:28 PM by Zinger »

kai

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:18:35 AM »
it's beutiful colour cheese.

Zinger

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Yes, the color is great, but as it dries it continues to open up where the curds didn't knit well. The interesting thing is that as small crumbs fall off and I eat them, it really tastes very nice - especially for an unripened cheese.

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »
Zinger, that looks nice. I'm going to try another one of these with stout in the near future.  What was your process in adding the wine to the curd?

Ryan

Zinger

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »
I just added room tempertaure Cab Sauvignon to the curds prior to pressing. As I sit here right now, I am bringing up to temp some more milk for another attempt.

Go to  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1389.0.html to see what I am going to do different this time.

I'll post my progress to that link.