Author Topic: Creamline-how to convince local dairy  (Read 3111 times)

qdog1955

Creamline-how to convince local dairy
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
  Living in Pennsylvania---the 5th largest milk producing state in the country----and you wouldn't believe how hard it can be to get cream line milk. The few places within reasonable distance that do sell it , want over $8.00 a gallon, same for raw milk.
  Now there is a local dairy that's been in business since 1960----when I spoke to the owners about cream-line, it turns out the wife has been trying to convince hubby to sell cream-line for sometime---she thinks there is a good market for it---and not just cheese makers---lot a people are just tired of over processed foods.  She says "We don't even have to increase the price, we're actually eliminating a step". Hubby is reluctant.
  The question is, how can I help convince Hubby to offer his customers a cream-line milk? These are wonderful, friendly people in a very competitive business, so I understand the concerns.
  Any suggestions? I'd love to here them.

Qdog

John@PC

Re: Creamline-how to convince local dairy
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 10:20:29 PM »
I've seen "cream line" milk on the forum a lot but just figured it was a brand name.   Is it a brand or is it refer to non-homogenized milk?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »
Non-homogenized.  We have a few folks around us that do that.  One vat pasteurizes, LTST. 
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
Then I consider myself lucky to be able to purchase my "cream line" LTP milk for $4.75 ;)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:44:55 PM »
Wow, that's a fantastic price, John.  Our creamline here is more expensive than raw milk, IIRC.  Branding, in the words of George Lucas.
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »
Then I consider myself lucky to be able to purchase my "cream line" LTP milk for $4.75 ;).

Oh shush...  ;) It's $10.50 to $13.00 around here.  >:( and needs to be special ordered.

The question is, how can I help convince Hubby to offer his customers a cream-line milk? These are wonderful, friendly people in a very competitive business, so I understand the concerns.
  Any suggestions? I'd love to here them.

Qdog

An idea that will take years, lol: Start a "creamline movement". You gain enough steam and support and the bigger producers will start listening.

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 12:41:50 AM »
Oh shush...  ;) It's $10.50 to $13.00 around here.  >:( and needs to be special ordered.
Ok here's a deal:  I'll send you the milk and you send me the cheese  ::).  I'll even pay shipping.

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 12:47:56 AM »
Interesting, I was a dairy farmer in Pennsylvania up until just a few years ago.
Befriend a local farmer, some will sell right out of the bulk tank...just be sure to run the agitator first!!!!!!!!
Ain't nobodies business but yours and his, or hers.  ;)

$2.50 a gallon would be a fair price.

Spoons

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 12:49:01 AM »
Haha, John ;)

This got me thinking though, I'm only 45 minutes from the border. Maybe I can find a supplier in northern NY State. Worth a look as I always make my cheeses with cream line milk anyways... yes, even at that price  :(

qdog1955

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 09:18:06 AM »
  Interesting side note----the wife did convince hubby to start making there own ice cream awhile back---and they can barely keep up with demand------this ice cream is like the old home cranked stuff we used to make as kids (without the arm fatigue) and it's not 80% air. Maybe hubby should take note of wife's good business sense.

Qdog

scubachi

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »

Agreed! I recently moved back to PA and have really ramped up my cheesemaking hobby. When I was out of state it was a luxury to make cheese, and hard to find quality milk. I love having access to good raw milk, and am fortunate to have a farmer with a good attitude. :)

There's a local goat dairy and creamery near me which I may approach about a discount and ask to pick-up off their bulk tank. Not sure if 10 or 20 gallons at a time would be worth their while. Currently you can get their raw milk in stores for around $7.50 a gallon.

-Steve

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »

Unfortunately, some states make it their business -- at least if we're talking about raw milk. It is illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption in NC. Before asking a local farmer to accidentally spill some milk into a bucket, I'd encourage giving some thought to the fact that one is asking the farmer to run the risk of being shut down / fined out of existence. The farmer doesn't know if the person asking is actually an undercover inspector, and even if not, word WILL get out. I don't know of any farmers anywhere near me who are willing to run that risk!
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »
  I agree, I would never ask anyone to break the law ----In Pa. it is legal to sell raw milk within the State---but requires a special license--and most Dairies don't want the extra attention from regulators----there is also a fear of unjustified law suits. But the cream line does not require a special license, since it is pasteurized.
Qdog