Author Topic: I have a question, please  (Read 2938 times)

MartinRob

I have a question, please
« on: October 13, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »
Does any one know if Lincolnshire has ever had a cheese?
I cannot find one ever being made in Lincolnshire, which is strange as we have Red Lincolnshire Cattle and in medieval times the monasteries and Abbeys had huge flocks of sheep.
They say that Boston was one of the most important ports  in Britain and that the local church "Boston Stump" was built on wool.
I think that means it was built on the proceeds of the wool trade.

Regards,

Martin

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: I have a question, please
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
Martin, check this out.  I could find no descriptions of a traditional "Lincolnshire" cheese in The Cheeses and Wines of England and France, though the book does mention Lincoln Red milk in the back notes section.  A google search did yield this info, however.  Lincoln Poacher sounds wonderful.
- Paul

Savu

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »
Martin if your interested here's the website on the making of Lincolnshire Poacher & their description is as follows:
The cheese is made a little bit like traditional West Country Cheddar though we have several key differences in our recipe that give Lincolnshire Poacher its own unique flavour and texture.  It is matured for 14-24 months and although the taste varies with the seasons it usually has a distinctive fruity, nutty taste with a clean sweet finish.
It has been described as sitting somewhere between the continental hard mountain cheeses (such as Comte) and traditional West Country Cheddar.

http://www.lincolnshirepoachercheese.com/our-cheese/cheese-making/

Here's another website with transcript of an interview with the cheesemaker the relevant details on the making is about half way down the page:
http://www.homemadecheese.org/lincolnshire-poacher-transcript.html#sthash.X5GxRRkj.dpbs
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:54:28 PM by Savu »

MartinRob

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:47:05 AM »
Dear Arnaud & Savu,
                               Thank you both very much for looking at the sites and helping with my inquiry.
I'll read them all, believe me, it's just a pity this county does not seem to have a cheese like other counties of Britain.
Still, I guess that leaves me free to experiment with other cheeses once I have mastered Cheddar.
Again, Thank you both....  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:45:47 AM by MartinRob »