Author Topic: Mozzarella in action  (Read 1476 times)

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
Mozzarella in action
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »
A ball of homemade mozzarella doing what it does best.   Caprese salad.  Basil was a little past it's prime, but nevertheless a great snack. 

I drizzle sweet balsamic vinegar reduction over it, and crushed pepper.  Yummers.

- Andrew

Spoons

Re: Mozzarella in action
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:03:23 AM »
Looks so yummy and fresh! What kind of mozz? citric acid or culture acidified?

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:05:44 AM »
Looks so yummy and fresh! What kind of mozz? citric acid or culture acidified?

Citric acid.  My son and I have been making 2 balls a week. 
- Andrew

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:10:47 AM »
Chicken Involtini, from this past week.  Pound a chicken breast thin, add slice of mozz, some basil, and prosciutto, and roll and tie (or stake with toothpicks).  My wife won't eat pork due to a wacko diet she's on right now, don't ask, so no prosciutto in these pics.  I've grilled this and also baked.  Set on a bed of diced tomatoes or garden tomato sauce.  Also in pic, spanish rice and collard greens.

- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
Looks delicious!
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »
Darn it, I had three chicken breasts in the fridge but sous vide (or is it sous vided ::)) them before I read your update.  Did you grow the collards too (we love them here in SC and it's "that time".  If you can fill in what seasoning you used, baking time and temp that will earn you a cheese. 

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
Darn it, I had three chicken breasts in the fridge but sous vide (or is it sous vided ::)) them before I read your update.  Did you grow the collards too (we love them here in SC and it's "that time".  If you can fill in what seasoning you used, baking time and temp that will earn you a cheese.

Hey, I do sous vide too!  Brother from a different mother?  No, didn't grow the greens. 

350F.  I think they were in there for about 30m.  Just watch for them to start changing color.

I normally do them on the Weber grill, 350F (medium heat, direct over coals). 
I always brine the chicken for a couple hours before I use it; it will be much more moist after cooking.  1/4 cup salt in a quart of water.
Make a seasoning bowl of 1tsp each of granulated garlic, salt, and pepper
Pound chicken breasts flat, apply some of the seasoning, cheese, basil, roll, tie, cook, set on diced tomatoes or marinara or whatever.
Bake for 20m or until light brown.  Or grill direct over coals, medium heat (350F).
Stick in mouth!

- Andrew

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »
You earned that cheese - great recipe with made special with your own mozz!  I've got three sons who love cooking and will send to them (we love prosciutto almost as much as bacon :)).  Come to think of it, how about substituting the prosciutto with partially-fried bacon (or Turkey bacon for your wife's sake)?