Author Topic: Camembert the fifth  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Camembert the fifth
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
Just opened today and it's already nearly gone. That's the downside.
The upside is a lovely soft, delicately flavoured, creamy, mould-ripened cheese. I really like this cheese because not only does it turn out so well but it is fairly easy to make.

The make notes are as follows:
Make: 2/9/14
Ingredients:
•   3L Fleurieu Jersey milk. P = 3.3% F = 4.8%
•   0.75g (scant tad) of MM100; 0.36g (pinch) PC
•   ml calcium chloride dissolved in 20ml of water.
•   0.8 ml of 140 IMCU animal rennet in 20 ml of water.
Warmed milk to 32C
Stirred cultures in for 1 min. and ripen for 40 min.
Stirred in CaCl2 and rest for 5 min.
Stirred in rennet for 4min. Flocculation occurred at 15 min. Using a 5x multiplier, coagulation time = 75 min.
Cut to 25 mm. Rest 5 min.
Stirred gently for 10 min. Rested 5 min.
Ladled curds into two 95mm lined moulds and allowed to drain for 30 hrs. Turned at 15min, 25min, 70min 2hrs, 3hrs, 6hrs, 8hrs, 10hrs and 19½hrs.
Salted ½ tsp per cheese per side with 30 min between sides. (pH of whey at this stage ~ 4.4)
Placed in an aging container and kept at ~ 13C. Turned daily.
White fuzz appeared after about 4 days.
Wrapped on cellophane 4/10. One left at 13C, the other moved to 3C.

I do have one question for the gurus who frequent this forum. This cheese displays much more proteolysis than the last two makes of, essentially, the same recipe. Could this be due to seasonal variation in the milk? It is spring here in Oz and the previous two were made in late summer and winter. The last one that showed a similar degree of proteolysis was made last spring. The milk is pasteurised but non-homogenised.
- Andrew

John@PC

Re: Camembert the fifth
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:53:36 PM »
Great looking cheese Andrew and along with the detailed recipe definitely worth a cheese.  As for your question it's above my pay grade but I'm reading "The Science of Cheese" which is a good book but with a few flaws.