Author Topic: Nalgene for culture storage?  (Read 1306 times)

qdog1955

Nalgene for culture storage?
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »
 Have 8 wide mouth Nalgene ---square--wide mouth bottles---4 oz. Would like to use to store cultures in freezer. Sailor had mentioned Naglene in his post, but I have two concerns. One: every time I remove said cultures from freezer I immediately get lots of condensation all over the packets ---have bagged them in zip lock bags and then in a Tupperware container---that helps, but not enough. Will the bottles help? Any suggestions? Was thinking the bottles would be easier to handle and measure from, then foil packs. Worries of contamination.
  Also, will all that extra air space( bottles won't be full) be a cause for concern?
 Qdog

John@PC

Re: Nalgene for culture storage?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:07:51 PM »
I vacuum bag mine to save space and always try to let the bag get to room temp before cutting open.  That way water won't condense on the bags (or worse, in them).  I also make a "long" bag for the cultures so I can re-seal it several times instead of making a new one every time.  Considering the amount of cheese Sailor makes he probably needs the room a Nalgene bottle provides, and a bottle would make it easier to sort through to find your culture (still would recommend letting it warm up).

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25:04 AM »
Very close to John's method - cheese to you, John!  I have zip-lock small and large bags.  The large bags I divide and label by "type" - geo, yeasts, coryne's, micrococci, PC, blends, etc.  The small bags I just pinch down to the level of the remaining culture, and roll it up tightly before sealing, does a reasonably good job of keeping air out.  Then I vacuum the large bag, and return to the freezer.  I think it works reasonably well. 

- Paul

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:27:16 AM »
Thanks guys,
  Thought about letting them warm up first, but was afraid the constant freezing and warming cycle would be harmful to the bacteria. It surely doesn't help my old joints!

Qdog