Author Topic: Crushing Hansen cultures?  (Read 2853 times)

qdog1955

Crushing Hansen cultures?
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
  This morning I was in the process of making a Jarlsberg with Flora Danica ----Recipe from this site, Scanersky I think-----I wanted to compare to my Jarlsberg I made with Thermo. The Flora Danica is Hansen, I have never used Hansen-----Take a look at the photo I attached----This sticker came attached to an order that I received this afternoon after I finished the Jarlsberg make(and it's not even Hansen). Nowhere on the packet does it say anything about crushing---and I didn't----so now I'm wondering if the 1 tsp. I put in the 4 gallon make is going to lead to problems and what those problems might be? Should I go ahead with the brine as planned or try a different approach?
  Those of you that have used Hansen----is this the normal procedure?

Qdog

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Crushing Hansen cultures?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
I was at a class that discussed FD culture and how it is lumpy. No mention was made of crushing it. But definitely shake it up a bit before measuring because the larger bits rise to the top of the packet and you want some of both.
Susan
Susan

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
Susan,
  Looks like I butchered scasnerkay----sorry about that :-\   I'm just concerned because obviously a fine crushed powder would measure completely different then those lumpy pellets and I couldn't get the ph where I wanted---6.2----It also floced in less then 8 min. with the same amount of rennet that I always use on a 4 gal. make, and I don't know if there is some kind of relationship between the two. So I'm a little confused. Guess I just have to wait and see.

Qdog

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:28:05 AM »
I hope your pH finally got to the target. As you may have noticed, it took a long time for the pH on the make I did 4-14-13 to get to the correct pH. Even when I drained the pH was too high, but the curd felt right. FD is a slow acidifier, and washing the curd makes it take even longer. I hope you followed through, because it was a good tasting cheese for me! In fact I should probably try it again! Swiss types are a hard sell around my home however, which is a pity because I like them.
By the way, 1 tsp seems like a lot of starter for 4 gallons. I usually aim for more like 3/8 to 1/2 tsp.
Susan

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:57 AM »
Susan
 Going to display my ignorance here---explain 4-14-13---assumed it was a make date ( know what they say about assume).
They always say on this site to go by the packet directions not the recipe, and that calls for 1/4 tsp. per gallon---so I did.
Brined it last night---air dry now---Wait and see.
  Can't imagine people not liking Swiss style---my favorite and big in this part of the country. Being pretty new to cheese making, I'm leaning towards Swiss and other washed curd. Which leads to this----
  In another thread (lost that thread) we were discussing whey pumps and cleaning---specifically kerosene pump-----we must think alike, because I used the same procedure as you, but ended up with little curd stones and a film I couldn't get out-----so I went to this ( see attached photos). This allowed me to drain the whey right into gallon jugs so I knew how much to remove and replace----takes about 30 seconds to remove 1 1/2 gallons and is so easy to clean---It's not so good if you are completely draining the curd.
  By the way---don't know how important this is ----but Star-San says, that all items have to be thoroughly clean first and no food particles before using--- That's why I gave up on the pumps.
Any more input you can offer is greatly appreciated!!
Qdog

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
Yes 4-14-13 referred to that particular make date. I don't know how to insert a link to it directly!
When the rind is dry, and before you put it in the warm phase, I would recommend rubbing it with oil to help keep the rind pliable for the swelling you will hopefully see. I hope yours will smell impossibly delicious during that warm phase like mine did! You sure do make me want to do another!

On the pump, I really have not seen any "curd stones". I do think it gets clean with the cold rinse, HOT soapy water wash, then star san. But I like your method too. I will keep a closely critical eye on the pump to make sure no nasties are in there! Good thing the cheese is only for my family!
Susan