Author Topic: Mixed milk caerphilly  (Read 2169 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Mixed milk caerphilly
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:44:49 AM »
Yesterday I was lucky enough to get 3.5 gal of raw Jersey and 0.5 gal of Nubian goat milk when I milked the critters. Time for another caerphilly. I tried a new approach for heating the milk, by placing the pan (a 6 inch deep steam pan) on a griddle on the gas stove. Heat control was not quite precise enough due to the retained heat in the very thick griddle.
And time to try a new form from Artisan Geek!
Check the spread sheet for the make details. I used a scant 3/8 tsp of starter, and perhaps it should have been a bit less since the pH went a little to quick for me. I used only 2.5 ml of single strength rennet due to Sailor's suggestion to use less rennet with early season milk (fall calving).
Next time a little less starter, and a little less rennet, and tighter watch on the pH during cheddaring!
Susan

JeffHamm

Re: Mixed milk caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »
Will be interested to see how this turns out!  If you are likely to be able to get your hands on a mix of milk regularly you can find a number of cheeses that would be ideal for you.  Check out Bitto, for example.  I've made it a couple times now, but had to add some lipase as I don't have any goat's milk.  It's normally 10-20% goat, with the rest cow.  Anyway, this looks like it worked out.  Keep an eye on those cracks in the rind.  Fortunately caerphilly doesn't require a long aging period. 

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Jeff! I do feel a bit stuck in a caerphilly rut...  All my family loves that cheese however, and I seem to continuously run out of it! I will look up the Bitto make. If you have others to suggest, let me know!
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »
I tried a new approach for heating the milk, by placing the pan (a 6 inch deep steam pan) on a griddle on the gas stove. Heat control was not quite precise enough due to the retained heat in the very thick griddle.
Have you tried an electric griddle?  Much lower mass and good heat transfer of the thin aluminum bed makes for better control and less overshoot.  If you do overshoot you can fold up a dish towel and put it under one end to create some air space, something you wouldn't want to do cooking with open flame.  By the way we are Caerphilly crazy too and that looks like it will be a good one :)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:53:39 AM »
Time for an updated picture of how the rind is developing...  Geo seems to have a firm foothold in my cave... This is not quite 2 weeks from make.
Susan

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:22:48 PM »
Nice!  That's a good thing as caerphilly should develop a bit of geo.  Yours is looking very good. 

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 04:35:31 AM »
I did not record the initial weight on this 4 gallon make, but I think it was close to 4#. Today at 11 weeks it is weighing in at 3# 4oz, a loss of about 12 ounces (340 grams). In the photo it can be seen that the dry area under the rind is evident. What can not be seen is the flavor!! Another great caerphilly!  This is such a forgiving cheese. When I read the notes from the make I was worried about the pH dropping too fast and getting too low. But it melts well and is smooth and creamy, though just a bit crumbly. Half was vacuum sealed and  back into the cave since it is too much to use right now. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts in there before someone (me) takes it back out!!
Susan

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »
Looks beautiful. I'd like to Caerphilly some day. Have a cheese.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 06:49:28 PM »
A cheese for you. Looks great! :-)

:-) Danbo

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »
A very nice finish have another cheese  ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/