Author Topic: Two at once  (Read 2022 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Two at once
« on: October 25, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »
I would never have dreamed about doing this a few months ago.  I am following the same make as I did below
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12962.0.html

But in the haste to start this morning I dunked my pH strips into my Bleach cleaning solution - Duh !! So today is going by times, feel and taste.  Why two at once ?  Well, after digesting the contents of GC's (Gianaclis Caldwell)  book several times I am confident that by doubling the milk... to 8 litres I can do both the un pressed long drain version for a crumbly version and a slightly pressed version as last time as my wonderful wife loves it that way.

Stay tuned - Photos and control sheet to follow..  Should be fun.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

John@PC

Re: Two at once
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 12:04:49 AM »
Good luck with the two-fer! Please post your recipe and results as another feta is on my short list (especially since I had to throw my first one away >:().

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 01:46:10 AM »
Of Course whats a good story without pictures ?  The link in the above post should have a control sheet attached.

Though briefly
8 litres Cows Milk - mine has 3.9% fat.
1/32 tsp lipase - diluted in a 1/4 cup of Purified water (no Chlorine), 20 minutes before use
1/8 tsp CaCl2 - diluted in a 1/4 cup of Purified water.
1.5 doses of Flora D. 1/16 tsp + 1/32. - Changing up from 5 litres to 8 today.
2.5 mls of 200 IMCU rennet.

Bring milk to 32 degC.
Add CaCl2 and Lipase stir for about a minute
Add Culture - Let re-hydrate on the top for a couple of minutes - FD is a bit clumpy.
Ripen for 1 hour
Add Rennet - I Use the Floc method to determine the cut time - using a 4 time multiplier.
MAking sure the temp stays 32DegC - Cut curd into 1/2 inch blocks - wish I could do this accurately !!  Let curds rest (Heal) for 15 minutes.
Stir gently for 20 minutes. maintaining temp.

Drain to the level of the curds and transfer to already lined fetta forms.
let drain for 1 hour - remove from form - redress
Let drain a further hour and repeat.

Now for the divergent pressing - I'll post pictures to show what I mean.
1/2 the batch is let drain under its own weight for 4-6 hours - this allows the Acid to develop more as you are not pressing the whey out - therefore not reducing the food for bugs.
1/2 the batch is very lightly pressed - this removes the whey faster and therefore reduces the available food for bugs and hence less acid. This one will be more dense but less crumblier than the other. Press for the same time as the other batch.

These are then brined in a heavy brine for 4 hours per 1/2 Kg (1lb) in a heavy (16%) brine and then let cure in a 8% light brine.

light brine 4 litres water 250 gm salt 15ml CaCl2 and 15 mls Vinegar.  16% heavy brine just double the salt.

All post the control sheet and images later today.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 03:12:23 AM »
Up to the pressing phase.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 05:26:51 AM »
Here we go with a few shots of the process

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 05:32:07 AM »
Kitchen Ready
Managed to get a decent curd cut this time.
Ready to place in the Forms
Loaded.  The long ones will be left to drain under their own weight and stacked ones, behind will be slightly pressed.
Slightly pressing @ .75 kg the string is to keep it from tipping over.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:05:42 AM »
Well, brined overnight and they are now residing in a 8% brine but I think the smaller flatter - non stacked turned out a bit too flat and are bearly 1 inch thick so, I'm not sure of its texture oh well ! I'll post tasting notes in a couple of weeks when we try it.   We like Fetta after only a short ripening period so we'll see what we end up with ..

-- Mal