Author Topic: 2 cheese caves (wine coolers) on 1 breaker? Electrical question  (Read 3728 times)

Spoons

2 cheese caves (wine coolers) on 1 breaker? Electrical question
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »
I'm thinking of buying another 36-bottle wine cooler for a cheese cave. The one I have is a Danby with a compressor and is also analogue temp controlled. I plugged it into a Johnson temperature controler. It's been working real good for me.

Now I want to DOUBLE that and buy the exact same setup.

Question: I'm very limited in options as far as electrical outlets. Would plugging 2 Danby wine coolers into a johnson temp controller each in the same electrical outlet cause power failures? I'd have nothing else plugged-in on the breaker (nearby outlet).

What's your opinion on this? I'd hate to buy all this new equipment only to find out that I have no power options. 

qdog1955

Re: 2 cheese caves (wine coolers) on 1 breaker? Electrical question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:58:23 AM »
You have to know how many amps the two set ups will draw, when they are both on at the same time( the tag should tell you max. amps), If the amps do not exceed the amps on the circuit you are plugged into----check the breaker or fuse box ---you will be fine, Do not assume that there are no other outlets on the circuit that is being used, especially on older homes. In the older days lights and outlets could even be on the same circuit. Even if there is a problem, it can usually be remedied fairly easy.
 Qdog

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
Spoons,
  Should have added-----that most of the wine coolers and mini fridges I have seen don't draw more then 6 or 7 amps. Even the older non-efficient models. Probably less.
Qdog

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »
Generally, you shouldn't put two fridges on the same 15A circuit because the compressor pulls a lot more than it's rated current when it starts, and if two of them turn on at the same time they might not start at all, or the breaker might trip.  That's what I've been told, anyway. 

Since the breaker will protect the wires in the wall from overheating, I think the only real danger here is that the fridge does not start on one of it's cycles, which wouldn't be a big deal.  Or, worse, the breaker trips and they both stay off indefinately.  A simple test would be to turn off the breaker, plug them both into the wall, then turn the breaker on and see what happens when they start.  It'll probably be OK.
- Andrew

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
Spoons,
  Should have added-----that most of the wine coolers and mini fridges I have seen don't draw more then 6 or 7 amps. Even the older non-efficient models. Probably less.
Qdog

Thanks for this info. I checked Danby's web stie and they don't have that info. I know which tag you're talking about, so I'll go to a store and see the tag on the fridge on display.

Generally, you shouldn't put two fridges on the same 15A circuit because the compressor pulls a lot more than it's rated current when it starts, and if two of them turn on at the same time they might not start at all, or the breaker might trip.  That's what I've been told, anyway. 

Since the breaker will protect the wires in the wall from overheating, I think the only real danger here is that the fridge does not start on one of it's cycles, which wouldn't be a big deal.  Or, worse, the breaker trips and they both stay off indefinately.  A simple test would be to turn off the breaker, plug them both into the wall, then turn the breaker on and see what happens when they start.  It'll probably be OK.

Yeah, I'd hate to take a risk and find out that my caves haven't been working.

So, how about this:

All of my kitchen outlets are on 2x15 breakers, and appear to be dedicated. There's one that I don't use. What if I plugged in a power bar with a big enough gauge (like the ones for AC units) and plugged both wine fridges to it? I'd need about 6' extension if I used that kitchen outlet.

Thanks for the help BTW :)

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:17:31 PM »
I see you're in Canada----since you guys still use that primitive metric system ;)---it's hard to say---that's a joke Eric----how old is your home? Normally you shouldn't run two FULL size fridges on the same circuit---- but these small wine coolers do not draw as many amps as the large ones----- My 4.5 cu. ft. only draws 2.9 amps. Even then I was concerned because the circuit I wanted to use already had a freezer and washer and dryer on it and I was afraid that would be just enough to trip the breaker if they all came on at once. In this case the solution was simple--- I ran an extension cord around the corner to a different receptacle on a different circuit,
  Don't assume dedicated circuits----plug a light in---turn off breaker---check all the receptacles------it's rare to have only one recep. on a circuit unless it's a 220 volt.
 I'm not sure what you mean by 2x15 breakers---must be more of that metric stuff :)---guess I should ask my son in law, he lives in Canada--AAAA
Qdog

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
Yes, we measure electrical currents in meters  :P The metric system is that diverse... hehe...

Thanks for your thoughts. When I'll buy the cave, I'll plan it as though I plug in two separate plugs eventhough it's a bit of a hassle. But once installed, I just might try it on one and see.

Very helpful, thanks!