Author Topic: Saint Maure de Tourraine recipe?  (Read 2783 times)

amiriliano

Saint Maure de Tourraine recipe?
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »
Hi folks

Anyone have a good and complete Saint Maure (with ash) recipe I can use? What I've found here so far seem to have some details missing.

Thanks in advance!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Saint Maure de Tourraine recipe?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
Amiriliano,

Just an FYI that the ash cendre that's typically applied as a surface is not considered traditional, but a kind of industrial, cheap substitution for the real thing.  Pierre Androuet: "There is no such thing as a chèvre cendré."  Rather, the cheeses were naturally blued in ash.  Also, most traditional makers and affineurs from the Touraine decry the salt level in modern versions.  This, frozen curd, milk powder, PC, pasteurization.  They consider all these just a mark of industrialization, away from the true thing.
- Paul

amiriliano

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
Interesting. What does "naturally blued in ash" mean?

amiriliano

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
I found this in cheesemaking.com:

"Saint Maure de Touraine cheese has the highest production of any goat cheese in all of France and originally had no protection until 1990.

It was a recent re-read of one of my favorite books by Patrick Rance titled simply "French Cheese" (unfortunately only a small amount were printed and it has long been out of print but still shows up in used book stores) that had me thinking of writing this recipe page for this cheese.

In reading the book "French Cheese" Rance talks about his first adventures into the St Maure area during the 1950's when the cheeses in the market were all natural rinds and it was not the practice to add ash or charcoal to the surface of the cheese but to just allow the natural drying off and mold formation to develop depending on the particular ripening environment. He noted that there was an incredible variation in the cheeses he saw and tasted, ranging from rouge to grey to blue-black - all most likely due to moisture levels and the native molds where they were aged.

By the time he was writing his book in the mid 1980's many of these cheeses were now being treated with ash/charcoal and more salt than was needed and the character of the cheese was not what it had been. He felt that the salt overshadowed the qualities of the milk.

The AOC regulations since 1990 now specify that the ash is a part of the final process, but the salt used by many of the farm producers has been brought back into balance.

Although you will find many variations on the St Maure style of cheese, there is only one legal Saint Maure de Touraine.  Since it is now an AOC cheese, this will be found along the Loire River in France near the town of Saint Maure (of course!).

This cheese differs from other log or "buche" shaped cheeses in that:

It is always a lactic fermentation with little to no rennet added.
Ripening/coagulation takes place for about 24 hours.
The curd is never cut before molding or pre-drained, instead it is ladled directly into the molds either individually or with a large scoop and a distribution tray for many molds ganged together.
It has a piece of rye straw inserted through the center of the cheese after draining but before removing from the mold. This helps to hold the cheese together while unmolding and during its young life, provides a means to handle the young cheese, and provide some aeration to the cheese center during ripening.
Today this straw actually has printed on it the makers info to mark each cheese origin. (I can only imagine how they do that!)
It also develops a natural grey flora on the surface which helps with aging and transforming the paste as the cheese is ripened.
On the industrial perspective, the largest amount of this cheese is produced by a handful of large scale producers. This little video by Will Studs (start about half way through it) will give you an idea of how that goes!! I do not think it is the AOC cheese since it simply says St Maure and not "de Touraine" and no "AOC" on the label but you will get the idea of how they can produce a lot of cheese."

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
Yes, it's from that same book I got my information.  I own it.  He describes many makers and affineurs (Pierre Jaquin, the aforementioned Pierre Androuet, a dozen or so others) with knowledge of traditional makes decrying the modern deigning to industrial convenience.  Rolling in salted ash being one of them, the others I mentioned.  That, as well as modern husbandry practice.  My read of it is one way is a natural blueing assisted by a natural ash skin; the other is a modern half-measure of salted ash, sold as a separate substance, merely rolled on for effect. 

I should add, he's got no actual recipe in the book for the St. Maure.  Lots of lore, but unfortunately not a lot of discussion on actual make for the cheese (unlike my métier, the alpines, where he does a good job of describing in decent detail make procedures, with an actual tomme recipe concluding his Savoie chapter).

More generally, with even less help on the making of St. Maure, but a book so full of lore, tradition, and enough description of makes and processes, that one could divine recipes from his writing if one had some familiarity with French cooking generally, is Waverly Root's The Food of France.  This book has probably been my closest companion in my personal and professional life cooking fairly classic French cuisine, for the last 40 or so years.  A wonderful section on the Touraine:

The heartland of France.  It was here, as much as in any other single locality, that the subtle, clear, precise language of Modern France developed, and here also, fittingly, that the subtle, fine, expert cooking of modern France developed.

The great gypsy swing, jazz, world music artist Stephane Wrembel once told me, when I was talking about my family moving to France, that without hesitation, move to the Loire and more specifically, Touraine.  Echoing a similar sensibility to Root's comment, above.

However, on St. Maure, I'm afraid Mr. Root doesn't say much.  He feels the Touraine is just too rich a land to devote to pastoralism, over its centuries of climactic and commercial adaptation.  So, "it produces little cheese...[with] one exception worth mentioning.  This is Sainte-Maure, produced in the Touraine village of the same name.  It is a goat cheese, made in the form of a baton.  Avoid it from December through April, when it is not at its best."

-and that's it, unfortunately.   But if you love French culinary tradition, highly recommend the man's book.  He writes as well as any travel writer of the Grand Tour tradition of the 19th century, in my opinion.  I absolutely love his work.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:47:19 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

amiriliano

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
So interesting. Looks like that book is long out of print, so not sure how to obtain in US. Maybe google can help...

Thanks for your input!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
So interesting. Looks like that book is long out of print, so not sure how to obtain in US. Maybe google can help...

Thanks for your input!

Amiriliano, lots available here.  Great book!
- Paul

amiriliano

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »
Yep! Just saw that too.