Author Topic: Extech PH100 on the way ... now what else do I need?  (Read 6140 times)

Spoons

Re: Extech PH100 on the way ... now what else do I need?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »
Yeah, the Extech 100 does need some getting used to. When I first got it, the readings were all over the place. So I took out the battery, took out the probe, waited a minute, installed the probe and then installed the battery. It's been working fine since.

About the readings going up or down even after it finishes blinking: Turn off the meter. Insert the probe in the whey. Wait 30 seconds for the probe to get used to the whey's temperature. Turn the meter on. The readings are usually much more stable this way.

Caldwell has PH targets in her books. Perter Dixon does too. I really like both these cheesemakers recipes!
http://www.dairyfoodsconsulting.com/recipes.shtml

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »
Which reading should I be trusting -- presumably the one when it stops flashing?? (This is something the very limited manual does not seem to address!)

Yep, that's when I go with it too.  I may be overly cautious, but I also dual-calibrate each time I sample.  It might be because I had some earlier issues with these meters, that have since been rectified, but it's now habit. 

- Paul

tally

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »
Good question on the meter, Awakephd. My meter does the same flashing, climbing. I've taken to waiting until the numbers don't change at all for several seconds, but I don't know if that's correct. Any feed back from you old cheese heads out there? When is the correct pH reached?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »
Hi Laura - I can only give you my experience, and that's when I do it too - like you and Awake.
- Paul

qdog1955

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
Awake---seems you and I really are in the same boat----had the same problem, with meter keeps changing-----the temp. seemed to be the problem, so I used a little electric hot plate, used to keep a cup of coffee warm (it never did keep the coffee hot) but it keeps the solution about 90 degrees----I turn off the meter between reads and place it in the mug with some 4.0----when I use it----the read only takes about 20 seconds or so---it seems to work. Here again, don't have enough experience to be exactly sure---but might be worth a try.
Qdog

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
I've never had much of an issue with temperature and reading creep.  Not perfect, but at least over the last couple of years (I had many of them fail, but that was several years ago now), the ATC works really well.  Actually, have to say, the meter works great, now.  Several seconds of reading, then a steady state, then a couple of points up or down, but the steady read is reasonable, given my expected target and what I know I'm doing in the vat.
- Paul

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
About the readings going up or down even after it finishes blinking: Turn off the meter. Insert the probe in the whey. Wait 30 seconds for the probe to get used to the whey's temperature. Turn the meter on. The readings are usually much more stable this way.

A great suggestion! I shall implement it as soon as I make my next cheese (hopefully this coming weekend). I had wondered if the problem had to do with temperature compensation.

AC4U!
-- Andy