Author Topic: Canestrato Cheese  (Read 2260 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Canestrato Cheese
« on: October 29, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »
Having lovely raw milk on a regular basis, I decided to experiment. But I tried the wrong one... I followed the directions for Canestrato on the cheesemaking.com web site. But the make did not go at all as indicated. Maybe too much starter? I think the curd was held at 115 degree temperature too long, becoming too dry and not wanting to knit together. Recipe indicates cook to 115, then hold stirring at 115 another 30 mins, then rest at 115 another 30 mins. Further complication was from a thermometer that went wonky. I had 4 thermometers pulled out, all in disagreement. So tomorrow I will obtain a new thermometer. But I don't think I will try canestrato again...
Has anyone else tried out this recipe from cheesemaking.com?
Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Canestrato Cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »
I see that it's made with sheep and goat's milk, but you used cow's milk, right?

That's most likely going to give you something entirely different than the style you were aiming at...IMHO. ;)

Nope, never tried Canestrato. Actually, until you posted, I didn't know about it.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »
In the recipe he gives, it is just cow milk. I think my starter was wrong, and my thermometer was not working right. PH meter was great, but no targets were given. I think I overshot temperature and acidity, and the curd was not interested in knitting.
Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:21:54 AM »
In the recipe he gives, it is just cow milk. I think my starter was wrong, and my thermometer was not working right. PH meter was great, but no targets were given. I think I overshot temperature and acidity, and the curd was not interested in knitting.
Sounds like a candidate for "Failures".

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Canestrato Cheese - not a failure after all
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
After getting over my initial disappointment in this make, I decided to vacuum seal it and put it in the cave. I left it there for almost 5 months! My dad reminded my about it recently, so I decided to open it up and try it. Not my best cheese, but not a failure either! It is mild, nutty, and a bit dry in the mouth like some "Swiss" types. The paste is flexible, able to be thinly sliced, and melts well.
Sometimes forgetting about something for a while pays off! Anyway, half the cheese went to my dad.
Susan

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »
AC4U for redeeming this disappointment!
-- Andy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:07:00 PM »
It looks nice! A cheese for you. :-)

John@PC

Re: Canestrato Cheese - not a failure after all
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 10:20:56 PM »
I've had similar experiences Susan and have gone from a "vacuum bagging" skeptic to a believer thanks to Boofer and others and, well, just getting very good cheese with nice soft rinds.  Glad for your Dad :) and a cheese for your save.