Author Topic: Large, tall Stilton mold  (Read 3996 times)

amiriliano

Large, tall Stilton mold
« on: October 30, 2014, 03:11:45 AM »
I can't seem to find a mold (form) tall and big enough for a say 3-4lb Stilton type cheese. What are people using?

Thanks!

Spoons

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Large, tall Stilton mold
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »
the one I use is a 6"x91/2" ss pipe, just right for a 5 gallon batch of Stilton curd.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

amiriliano

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »
Did you drill the drain holes yourself? With what tool?

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 01:56:54 AM »
Did you drill the drain holes yourself? With what tool?
With stainless, slow and easy with a very sharp and not to cheep drill bit, really nothing special.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
As a hobby machinist, let me add a word of warning about drilling stainless -- it is no problem to drill using standard twist drills (sharp and good quality as HKJ suggests), but be careful about going too slow. Small diameter bits should be run at much higher RPM than most people realize -- stainless needs less than mild steel, but I'd run a 1/8" bit at about 1500 RPM. As far as feed rate, again be careful about going too slowly -- stainless cuts just fine UNLESS you let the tool rub, in which case it work-hardens in a flash. At that point it becomes much harder to drill! So select appropriate RPMs, and feed at a steady rate. Okay to pull back to clear chips from time to time, but be sure not to let the bit "dwell" at any particular point.

Far, far better to do the drilling on a drill press -- so much harder to control the feed rate if drilling with a hand-held drill. But either way, be sure to secure the piece you are drilling. Many people think the drill is a "safe" tool ... until the bit catches just before it goes through, and starts spinning the workpiece around. If the work piece is thin sheet, it can slice you open in a flash.

If you are drilling thin sheet, you might also consider punching the holes -- I've not tried this in stainless, so don't know how well it may or may not work, but easy to do in mild steel up to 1/16" thick, up to say 1/4" diameter holes. Set the sheet over a piece of wood backing, take your punch, and smack it firmly with a hammer. Voila! a slug is punched out. You will then need, almost certainly, to do a little hammering to smooth the area around the hole, but again very easy to do.
-- Andy

amiriliano

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »
OK - this is all great info. Now I need to find that pipe

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
OK, being a shade tree mechanic/professional/automotive machinist/millwright/semiretired all around good guy I can say this, as alway, safety first!!
to drill the holes Take a metal punch and mark the pipe where you would like the drain holes placed,
now get a broom and run the handle through the pipe ( you can use a dowel in place of the broom) place a foot on the broom/dowel on each side of the pipe
when you start to drill don't just crank the drill full on, that will ruin your bit, start out not to fast and not to slow use a variable speed drill and fluctuate the speed you will see that as the bit speeds or slows down the bit will cut better at a certain speed, when you know you are about to go through the pipe hold on tight the bit will catch somewhat, just lighten up on the pressure and you should get through if it catches pull the drill bit out speed up the drill and very slowly engage the metal and finish the hole, any questions?
(ok ok so I went just a little over the top but maybe you get the jist of it) Have uh nice Day ;D

amiriliano

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »
Great advice as always. Where is the best place for a non-machinist to buy a pipe like that?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »
Where is the best place for a non-machinist to buy a pipe like that?
Some type of fabrication shop should have some short scraps you could buy or they may just let you have it.

amiriliano

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Excellent! Thanks again