Author Topic: Cheese Recipe Book?  (Read 811 times)

eromlignod

Cheese Recipe Book?
« on: October 30, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
Hi kids:

I was wondering if anyone knew of a comprehensive book of cheese recipes. I'm aware of the how-to books that usually include a few recipes, but I'm looking for a book that just has a list of recipes for all the different kinds of cheeses...something that just concisely lists ingredients, cultures, ripening times, temperatures and pH and affinage details for each cheese. Does such a book exist?

Thanks for any replies.

Don
Kansas City

tally

Re: Cheese Recipe Book?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
"Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking" by Geanaclis Caldwell is my go-to cheese recipe book. It meets all your criteria and then some. The only thing I don't like about it is she uses 2 gallon makes. For larger batches, I use "200 Easy Home Made Cheeses" by Deborah Amrein-Boyes. Her makes are mostly 4 gallons. Sometimes I will use a recipe from 200 cheeses and the pH markers from Caldwell for the same cheese. I also have quite a collection of recipes from the forum. Use the bookmark feature to save them for yourself. Good luck.

eromlignod

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »
Well, I have the Caldwell book. But it really only has a dozen recipes or so. There are so many other kinds of cheese. I'm looking for a cookbook.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 01:16:59 AM »
Well, 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes by Debra Amrein-Boyes would probably be good for you. This was my second book, after Carroll's and before Caldwell's. I've made quite a few from this, and they all turn out pretty true-to-form by just following the directions (which I can't say of Carroll's book). It doesn't include pH numbers though, but I think with the info in Caldwell's, you could extrapolate pretty easily from the general type of cheese being made.