Author Topic: Shio-Zuke - Japanese Lacto-Fermented Pickles or Eggplant  (Read 7914 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Shio-Zuke - Japanese Lacto-Fermented Pickles or Eggplant
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:14:10 AM »
SHIO-ZUKE - Japanese Lato-Fermented Pickles or Eggplant

3 kyuri (Japanese cucumbers), unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds,
three teaspoons of salt.

or

3 nasu (Japanese eggplants), unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds,
three teaspoons of salt.

Place the cucumber or eggplant slices into jar and add one teaspoon of salt, mix well by stirring with your hands. Add the second teaspoon of salt and mix again. Add the final tablespoon of salt and mix well. Apply pressure to the pickles and leave under pressure overnight or for at least 10 hours.

Remove the pickles from the press and place in a colander, wash well to remove salt, pat dry and serve. Salt pickles like these should last a week or more when refrigerated, but they're so delicious you'll probably eat them all before you have any left to store!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:53:59 AM by DeejayDebi »

goatherdess

Re: Shio-Zuke - Japanese Lacto-Fermented Pickles or Eggplant
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:54:51 PM »
Thats sounds simple and tasty. Thanks, I'll have to try that one.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:15:38 AM »
Nice and different way to deal with the mid summer over production!

goatherdess

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 05:36:44 PM »
How much weight is needed to press these pickles? If I try putting them in the cheese press, should I just use the follower alone for a light weight, or screw it down a little? Or does it need a closed bottom as with a jar to hold the juice from the cucumbers (instead of allowing it to drain)?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »
I just put something on the pickles that puts enough pressure to squeeze out liquid. When vegetables are crushed they will release lactic acid. This then mixes with the salt creates a lactic acid brine, which helps to preserve the pickles and add antioxidents. If you have a crock or large wide mouthed jar a block of hardwood (not pine) or a cutting board cut to fit with a filled milk jug, wrapped bricks or big rock will work. I sometimes used large #10 cans of beans or tomatoes to weight down a 3, 5 or 10 gallon crock (or cheese).

All vegetables when crushed will release lactic acid. Some more than others.

I've never used the cheese press. I would think the liquids would run off and you'd loose the advantage of the lactic acid. You've got me thinking about plugging my sausage stuffer though!  ;D

I don't think this needs to be said but like cheese DON'T use anything aluminum if it contacts the veggies.

goatherdess

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »
Thanks Debi, that explanation helps a lot. I never tried the kimchi thing, but am getting inspired to try it, so here goes my first batch. I put it in a peanut butter jar and put that into the cheese press. The juice came up really fast, just a few seconds - I was expecting it to take longer. Ready to eat in 10 hours!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 03:43:05 AM »
It's just like saurkraut as soon as you squeeze it makes liquid. Magically expelled lactic acid pickling juice. Looks like you found another good use for your press! Congrats!

You can try this technique with all sorts of stuff. Watermellon rinds, cabbage, cukes, beets, etc.  Beans andn carrots don't work well alone but they will work with another veggie like cabbage. I think cabbage is one of the highest in lactic acid.

I just develivered some Kim Chi to a guy at work that retired today. I used some purple and green cabbage and jalepinos it was real pretty!

goatherdess

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 06:23:22 PM »
I bet that was spicy. Or does it tone down the peppers like cheese does?
Mine came out really salty. I rinsed it twice. I think I better work on the salt to veggie ratio a bit. But this is very interesting. I think I will try again soon.

Presses can also be used for small scale bookbinding if you cut some rectangle boards to fit and the book isn't too big. I plan on working with apple pomace to make a little cider this year too. I've been going about nuts for fresh apple cider ever since Virginia, in its ineffable wisdom, decided to outlaw it a couple of years ago, forcing everyone to pasteurize or else. If it works, problem solved. If not I'll probably have to break down and buy a cider press for personal use. You can still get cider in West Virginia, but it's a 3 hour drive one way for us.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 01:29:42 AM »
You will have to adjust the salt to you liking. Also kyuri (Japanese cucumbers) are really long like the English cucumbers. Probably about as long as 4 of our regular cukes here in the US. I ofen jst lay the slices out on a plate and sprinkle salt on them the squish!

Funny you should mention bookbinding. I am about to build a book binding press of sorts to use as a cheese press for multiple kadova molds. I picked up some nice 2x6 maple a few weks back not I just have to get the basement dry enough to work down there. With all ths dang rain I have a small stream running through my basement.