Author Topic: Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA  (Read 16194 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
I have been driving around to farms looking for places to buy raw milk for years. Just for grins I googled Raw Milk in CT and this link popped up!

Links for raw milk all over the country! I love the internet!

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

Worlock

Re: Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:02:57 AM »
Wonderful resource.  Thank you very much!

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:26:45 AM »
That website is exactly how I found the farm that I get my raw milk from (http://sites.google.com/site/moomanorg/).  It is fantastic.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »
This has been posted quite a few times. Doesn't help me as they want an arm and a leg for raw milk.

Worlock

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:18 PM »
First time for me.  1,000th time for you.  Does that diminish my gratefullness? Not really.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
Sorry, typed late at night wasn't meant to sound stupid. I was trying to convey my anger at being able to get raw milk except for the fact it's so dam expensive. I don't understand you don't need all the homogenization equipment or pasteurization equipment and it's still more expensive.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »
Well it is more expensive but then you get a better yield to so is it worth it? I guess that's up to you.

I got 6 gallons comming tomorrow - 5 for cheese and 1 for yogurt - I'll let you know if it's worth it. I had to ge it through a health food store to get it locally.

Now I gotta figure out if I am using the Kardova molds or the big 8" mold I bought from Ullmers in Wisconsin. Nice stuff really heavy gauge stainless! You'd break your foot if you dropped it.

wharris

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:56:25 PM »
how much did you pay for that?

Rich

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 12:01:39 AM »
Here's a suggestion for finding a local source for raw milk.  Make some notices and post them on the bulletin board in all the feed stores in your area.  Dairy farmers will get the word, and you may have one or more call you.  Also, while you're there, check with the employees at the feed store.  They know all the farmers.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:45:08 AM »
I didn't yet ... I pick it up tomorrow. I didn't even ask the price  :o
It never occurred to me it could be ridiculaslly expensive. I'll let you know tomorrow!

I was so excited to find it I forgot to ask!

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:04:19 AM »
Deejay, one thing I've learned is there is usually a deposit on the jars you get your gallons from.  Where I am at the deposit is $4-6 per gallon jar, so the first time I picked up 4 gallons of raw cow milk it was $6 a gallon plus $6 per jar, so five gallons was $60.  Subsequent trips have been much less money, but it's something you should check.

The first time I picked up some raw goats milk, one of the gallon jars shattered in my car (Infiniti G35 sedan, best car evar), but luckily the milk was frozen.  Could you imagine cleaning a gallon of goats milk out of your car?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 04:27:36 AM »
How about this when I lived in LA I was bringing a bottle of my sparkling mead to a producer and being so hot it exploded in my car, what a sticky mess.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 05:04:58 AM »
thebelgianpanda -

I did expect a deposit on the bottles but $6! They only have half gallons and quarts ....  Yikes! That's $72 for a deposit. Last time I paid a deposit on a milk bottle it was only a dime! OPPS! I am dating myself there.  :D

Oh well the store is only a few blocks away maybe I'll dump the milk real quick wash them and run right back down there. Luckily I just got my income tax check and I am really excited about trying to make cheese from real milk so I'm in now no matter what. May be the last time but I gotta try it!

God milk in a car is BAD! Good thing it was winter. I got milk in my car once the the summer and it was awful no matter what I did. I had to remove the carpet.

I did ask at one feed store but the farmers up there only sell by the truck load to big distributors. We don't have alot of big farms here anymore. I can't wait to retire and get outta here! Where I grew up is now a big commuter Yuppy village. Nothing personal if any of you are one of them - I just miss the old farms and the old farmers (may they rest in peace).

Carter - I don't know that mead would clean up in carpet very well either. At least today they have portable carpet cleaners.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 05:33:54 AM »
@Deejay

When I was at my local supplier two weeks ago, it cost him $4 a gallon jar and he ordered 80 at a time.  I think I may actually start bringing over my brewing carboys, since the price for glass doesn't seem to increase linearly with volume.

Anyway, this is my experience here in Oregon, YMMV.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 02:01:20 PM »
Well they called already this morning to let me know the milk arrived. It's going to be $5.18/gallon half gallon for the milk and $2 a jug for the glass 1/2 gallon bottles. That's not bad. I usually buy my drinking milk at the gas station for $2.89/1/2 gallon so that's about right.

I gladly pay an extra $1/1/2 gallon to stay out of WalMart or the grocery store lines!

I guess I hear wrong or they heard wrong but it was $5.18 for a HALF gallon! YIKES! Dang tastey milk though. I haven't had real milk since I was 18. Man that went down so nice. I would be buying milk for cheese there for awhile but I may buy me a half gallon a week to drink. So sweet and creamy! Ah! heavenly!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:50:01 AM by DeejayDebi »