Author Topic: Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA  (Read 16193 times)

MrsKK

Re: Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »
Wow, you guys are really paying through the nose.  Its illegal to sell raw milk in Wisconsin, but if I could, I would probably charge about $4 a gallon for it.

I get gallon pickle jars from a local bowling alley - soak the lids in dish soap heavy water for a couple of days and the smell comes out of them.  The jars were free, and a great find I scored through craigslist.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »
I am hoping this EXTREME price was because it was a health food store. Made some unbelievably creamy yogurt too. Now I am really driven to find raw milk somewhere cheaper than $10/gallon!

MrsKK

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 07:10:23 AM »
Yeah, I have friends who buy milk through the local co-op and pay about $6 a gallon, and it is pastuerized.  They would prefer raw and have tasted the milk from my cow.  I'm researching cow shares and the legality of them in Wisconsin, in the hopes that we can work something out for our next lactation, which will start in June.  It would sure help to pay the feed bill!

I skim my milk before making yogurt, as I use the cream to make butter.  Seems like I never have enough of that!

the_stain

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
Here in CO you can't sell raw milk, so we have cow-sharing or goat-sharing programs.  It's expensive.  Average seems to be a $40-50 "buy-in" and then an "upkeep" fee of $40-50 a month.  For that, you get about a gallon per week of raw milk.  :o  I'm sure it's wonderful stuff, but with store-bought milk going for less than $2, I can't justify spending 5-7 times as much.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »
Well I found another source today and it only a half hour drive but $6/gallon. I ordered another 6 gallons for Friday. Nice lady too. They have an icebox in the shed and you put your money in a jar and take your milk. I paid $2.79 for a half gallon of Hood store bought milk at the grocery store tonight. So I guess that's a good price.

homeacremom

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
When you compare grocery prices with raw milk prices you have to remember that commercial dairies are subsidized in the US. The price of milk does not necessarily reflect costs in production.
In producing our own raw milk  I can come in at grocery store prices per gallon with all expenses divided per gallon. Add minimum wage and it would be hard to compete. Add extensive fees, licensing, insurance,and risk- let alone profit. Ok, and then limited supply makes it worse.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 08:15:44 PM »
$2.79 a half gallon isn't bad at all.  I was talking with the guy I get it from and apparently he hasn't broke even yet selling at $6/gallon, but expects to get to break even this year.  Feed and care, let alone having a place big enough to begin with, aren't cheap.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »
Well the $2.79/half gallon is for store bought milk and the $6/gallon is the farm fresh raw milk. So in my book that's a bargain! I don't think they make anything on it they have a small farm they are probably lucky to break even.

The woman I talked to sounded very curious about the fact that I was making cheese with it. She would like to try it someday when they have time.

Most farmer don't make much money. It's alot of work for little or no reward. God I can't wait till I retire and start my little farm in the hills!

goat lady

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »
I get 6.00 a gallon for goat milk. most milk goes into cheeses

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »
I haven't found goats milk yet but I will!

Birdi

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 01:18:56 AM »
I guess I will consider myself very fortunate.  I buy raw milk from a certified organic farm for $5/gallon.  I have 2 pickle jars that I swap the empty for the full.  I am just thankful its not illegal in Maine.  We are building up the pasture so that we can get our own cow.

eVenom

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 03:17:12 AM »
WOW!! Now that may be my next state!

Here in Florida I get EL cheapo walmart brand milk for $4/gallon and raw in health food store for $9/dollar half gallon.

goat lady

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 11:22:19 AM »
I have never used store milk for cheese. I would think that there would be a big difference switching back and forth from raw to store milk in cheese making techniques. Have any of you compared the two???

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
$9 / 1/2 gallon? I thought I got taken!

Just picked up 6 more gallons of raw milk for only $6/gallon. They use plastic bottle so no deposit either. I'll transfer some to glass bottle I have for drinking. I don't know why but I think it taste better in glass bottle. Could be all in my head.

mike_i

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 04:08:24 AM »
I'm in southern Calif. We have a small market chain called Sprouts. I get mine a few days before the expiration day for less than half price.
I once bought several quarts for a dollar, it's all in the timing.

Mike