Author Topic: Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA  (Read 16236 times)

goat lady

Re: Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 10:59:05 AM »
from some of the ag reports in the area they are predicting by 2012 most dairys in the us will be gone due to low milk prices and we will importing from china.kind of scary.

lambofgoth

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »
I haven't found much online to answer this particular question but what would you be willing to pay for raw sheep's milk? 

wharris

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
from some of the ag reports in the area they are predicting by 2012 most dairys in the us will be gone due to low milk prices and we will importing from china.kind of scary.
How would we get fresh milk from china?  On the surface, that does not seem possible.  I mean, a container ship takes 10-15 days to get from Chinese seaports to the west coast of USA.

zenith1

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »
sounds scary,but how about irradiated milk. They do it for other foods to increase the shelf life. That said, that's when I get my own cow!

goat lady

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »
raw sheeps milk is going for 90 a hundred  you just need to know how much a gallon weighs

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 03:42:10 AM »
$9 / 1/2 gallon? I thought I got taken!

Just picked up 6 more gallons of raw milk for only $6/gallon. They use plastic bottle so no deposit either. I'll transfer some to glass bottle I have for drinking. I don't know why but I think it taste better in glass bottle. Could be all in my head.

I just did two batches of Havarti one with store bought and one with raw milk. The raw milk was definately creamier and had a smoother mouth feel. I really like the raw better. We'll see after a few months if it matters that much.

lambofgoth

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 07:20:15 PM »
raw sheeps milk is going for 90 a hundred  you just need to know how much a gallon weighs

That sounds like a bulk rate though... Farmers here in Vermont are getting about 14 cents per gallon bulk rate but are selling raw milk directly to consumers at roughly $5 a gallon.  Assuming you had a local farmer selling sheep's milk per gallon, what would an individual (as in someone on this forum) be willing to pay for it?

Zara

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
In CO, as mentioned by someone before, we have the "co-op" livestock shares system if you want raw milk. But there aren't any really nearby me, soooo....

I used to pay $8/gal for goatmilk from a local lady with a few does.
Now I switched to a couple who raises Nigerian dwarf does for show and they sell them all over the US! So the milk is sort of an afterthought, I guess?!?! I pay $6/gal from them. And those goats live in a goat Hilton, I swear. They have a nicer pen than my house!

To buy milk in the grocery, past/homo milk is $4/gal, plus the heavy cream to counteract the homo is another $7/half gal (I buy the REAL heavy cream, not the UP stuff with thickeners added) - so raw milk is much more economical.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
Store bought milk has dropped to $2.59 a gallon here that half the price it was a few months ago. I may try a few batches with half store bought and half raw at those prices.

the_stain

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 01:38:52 AM »
Store bought milk is going for $1.58/gallon here.  I may have to ramp up production :D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 03:08:58 AM »
WOW! Good deal. It always amazes me how different prices can be for one area to the next.

Zara

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Dang! store milk is normally about $4/gal here...shoot my raw goat milk is only $6.

But my goatman is retiring and selling his herd!!! EEK! He offered me 2 of the tamer milkers (not the best does, but the easiest to deal with). That would yield 1 gallon per day. But I don't know if it's worth it to me. Does are $500 each! That's alot of bought milk. Plus - um - I had pet goats as a kid, but I'm clueless as to actually milking one.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 02:30:54 AM »
The hardest part of having milkers is they have to be milked twice a day so if you want to leave you need someone who is willing to take up the chore.

goat lady

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 12:46:07 AM »
$500 is pretty high at least in my area heard some milkers going for $50 at the last auction. you must be looking at something pretty special for that price.I looked at a jersey cow for the same price...

wharris

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 01:42:50 PM »
I have resigned myself to using store bought milk untill i can acquire cows of my own.