Author Topic: Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA  (Read 16235 times)

Quesa

Re: Raw Cow's Milk - Where YOU Can Find In USA
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2009, 05:10:32 AM »
Off topic, but... how do we eat spider legs while sleeping if there are no spiders in our homes?

Just wondering.

:)

MrsKK

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2009, 07:11:35 AM »
You may not see them, but they are there...

My sister has a definite phobia regarding spiders and she didn't sleep for about three days after someone told her how many spiders a typical person "eats" in their lifetime.

I admit that I don't like having them on me, but I find them to be fascinating creatures.

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2009, 07:27:09 PM »
I sell my Raw Goat milk for $10/gallon and there is no deposit on jugs.  All milk is bottled in 1/2 gallon plastic jugs from my local Borden plant.  I don't want
them back, so no need for a deposit.  None of my customers have ever balked at the price, they want it and I have it...especially during the winter months
here it is hard to get because most goat farmers dry up their girls for Spring kidding.  A few of us will breed "off season" and have winter milk, but not
many.  So, it is sort of a supply and demand issue.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 03:52:17 AM »
Good for marketing I'm sure.

driekus

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2010, 08:49:14 PM »
I don't have the exact statistics at my fingertips, but in the past 20 years hundreds of people have died from pasteurized milk. NOT ONE person has died from fresh raw milk.

Farmers depend on processing companies to buy their milk. However, if raw milk was legal everywhere, they could sell direct to the public just like they do tomatos and other produce. Cutting out the bottling companies, farmers could make twice as much as they are currently selling to the processors. Consequently, the big milk companies are constantly lobbying lawmakers about the public health "dangers" of raw milk. And they are pushing harder than ever right now.

I think you summed it up brilliantly. It is difficult to get milk in Alberta from companies that are not one of the big dairies. The big dairies can undercut the price by packing animals inhumane feedlots. If your want to know more look at a movie called Food Inc. If you buy milk from a small guy, the smallest you will get is a mid scale dairy that can afford to pasteurize. If they allowed raw milk, you would be able to find even smaller dairies.

The risk of raw milk is existent but it is no where near the risk that people make out. In massive feedlots where most of our milk comes from raw milk is dangerous because they jam animals into inhumane conditions and infection is a problem. In a more traditional farm raw milk is only slightly more dangerous than normal milk because the animals are kept healthy. The push against raw milk is so that massive producers can cramb more cows into an area and produce the $3 a gallon milk that you buy at walmart. Also the cost of pasteurizing equiptment puts it out of the risk of the average farmer.

Remember the small farmers that sell at farmers market typically are not massive producers and they give there animals more space (in Alberta that means more indoor space for winter) and provide better healthcare (in general). Support the small guy, if you can get raw milk from them do so and remember the extra costs these farmers must endure to provide a better product. (so you wont get $3 a gallon from them)
End rant :) and yes remember to support farmers at farmers markets or by direct purchase. Damn wish I could get raw milk in Alberta.

Brie

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 01:35:01 AM »
Barter, barter, barter! I began my cheesemaking endeavor with a dairy that produces raw organic milk. After several conversations, he spoke of his love for cheese; yet, alas- no desire to make it! He gives me 5 gallons of milk a week, and I provide him with the fruits (aka the curds) of my endeavors. In addition, I provide the resources for cheese-making for all of his clients. I have begun teaching cheese-making classes in the area, and direct everyone to his dairy--and he sells his milk for $10 per gallon. Win-win for all!