Author Topic: Monterey Jack Recipe  (Read 10709 times)

Tea

Re: Monterey Jack Recipe
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »
The recipe for this one said to dry until the cheese starts to yellow around the edges.  So did that, and waxed this morning.  I was surprised that even with the wax, you can still see the herbs showing through.  Interesting finish.
Again thanks for evens help.  Hopefully I can get these through the aging process in god health.

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
Well don't they look nice and very well waxed, what are your tricks-traps to achieve that finish?

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »
Nicely done, Tea! :)

Tea

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »
Well considering I have only waxed these two, I'm not sure that I am the person to give you tips. 
I was just wondering if you use the liquid cheese plastic first before you wax?

Tea

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 03:26:20 AM »
Well curiosity finally killed the cat.  I have been staking this cheese since I waxed them, and today I just had to try it, even though it has only been aging 3 weeks.
Having never tasted this cheese before, I can only say that to me, the cheese still seems a little young, with just a hint of a bite.  Lovely feel, and absolutely bursting with flavours from the herbs garlic.  The smells just hit me, as I cut into the cheese.
Have wrapped in again in plastic, and will age for another week or two, and try again.
I am really happy with this one so far, and will definately be making this again.
Yummy.

Cheese Head

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »
Tea your Garden Herbed Monterey Jack does look great, lots of fun.

I've never waxed before . . . I think you used the plastic coating before adding wax right?

In the picture it looks like the wax didn't come off very well or that just your handiwork ;)?

Tea

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 07:48:05 PM »
The white is the plastic coating.  I didn't expect it to look like that either.  I don't recall seeing that on commercial products, so it makes me think that they must do something different.
In reality, it peels off just as easily as store bought wax does.

Tea

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 01:25:42 AM »
Well I have been watching the other monterey jack that I did a wine bath with, and have noticed that the wax was lifting and starting to get a barrelled affect.  I opened it also this morning, and even though there doesn't appear to be any mould, (what I thought I would find), the cheese seemes to have aged well, with the wine flavours permeating through the cheese, but the middle has separated.
Any ideas/suggestions as to what may have happened.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
Information on Monterey Jack Cheese is available here.

Monterey Jack Cheese Making Recipe

Neither of these links work.  Are they available elsewhere on the site?

bbracken677

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »

rosawoodsii

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
Thanks. I'll give that recipe a try.  :D