Author Topic: Last Swiss (cheese?), of the season, is in the press........  (Read 2376 times)

Likesspace

Well, I have to admit that I’m both excited and a bit sad since I just put my swiss in the press…
The excited part is easy to understand since everything seems to have gone well but the sadness comes from the fact that this will probably conclude my cheesemaking season, other than a few possible batches here and there.
I’ve decided that for this hobby to continue to mean as much to me as it does, I have to take the summers off.
Also, this gives me a reason to have a least a little bit of joy once we enter into the fall/winter season since I really hate that time of year, other than taking part in this hobby.
In the summer months there is just too much to do for a person that loves the outdoors the way that I do. I’ve already put 60 miles on my bicycle this past week and that reminded me of the fact that time in the summer is limited so I’d better enjoy it all that I can.
Anyway, I do feel good about this cheese.
I did hit my Ph targets every step of the way, (Ph at draining was 6.35 which is pretty much as perfect as it gets), and I did press under the whey which wasn’t nearly as big of a deal as I imagined it to be.
At the first flip, (after a 15 minute press) the wheel had already knitted together nearly perfectly and felt as elastic as any I’ve turned out, in the past.
Sometime tomorrow or the next day I’ll post a pic or two of this wheel, either before or after brining. Now if it will JUST FORM THE LARGE NICE EYES THAT I’M AFTER…...whew….that felt good.
I sincerely hope that the rest of you have good luck with the cheeses you make this summer and I will be checking in here from time to time when I find a free minute.
In between visits, rest assured that I will be enjoying life, swimming, cycling, playing racquetball, badminton, cooking out and pursuing one of my other passions…ice cream making.

Dave

wharris

Re: Last Swiss (cheese?), of the season, is in the press........
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
Well, I will miss your informative posts.  I understand about taking the summer off.  Life is all about balance. Everyone needs to find their Cheese/Life balance.   

I plan on keeping at it this summer.  I will be trying swiss soon, so you will have a someone to compare recipes with when you get back into it.

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:06:54 AM »
Wayne,
First of all, I appreciate the words. That made me feel  good.
I will still be around some and will probably make at least a few more batches of cheese this summer.
I posted basically this same message on the other board and one of the members there reminded me that during the summer months in Illinois we sometimes have this stuff called "rain" that keeps a person from doing the things that he or she loves, outside.
You know, sometimes I can really be dense.
If I use those rainy days for making cheese I can keep the skills that I've learned somewhat sharpened and at the same time do something that I love. Since it won't be an every weekend endeavor the excitement should still be there each time that I get the opportunity to practice this hobby.
Besides, I've grown quite used to reading and posting on this board and it would be difficult to just give it up cold turkey. I mean sheesh, I have to have someting to do in the evenings, right? :-)
I guess what I'm saying is that you might not be totally rid of me just yet.
My posting might slow down some but I can't just totally quit this for the entire summer. Having made this decision, I feel better already. I really was feeling bummed today thinking that I was done until the fall.
Okay, 'nuf said.

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:18:42 AM »
Dave -

I have enjoyed reading your posts the last few days. Maybe I will get eeverything read y the time you get back into it. Enjoy your summer! I will miss rading your adventures and look forward to seeing you again in the fall.