Author Topic: Malembert - white mould ripened soft cheese.  (Read 8261 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Malembert - white mould ripened soft cheese.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:39 PM »
Australia Day !!  -  Celebrating this wonderful, wide, wild and Beautiful place on Earth
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

LoftyNotions

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »
Mal, I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting to it to thank you for the excellent discussion of molds, temperature, humidity, aging, etc. It'll help guide me with the Cambozolas I'm doing. AC4U.

Larry

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »
Im glad you found it useful. I come back to these posts on occasions to make sure im still following my own advice.
-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Penny C. Liam

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
Mal, I have two questions:

1) you say that at the beginning of week 3, the Malemberts were in the 4C cave for two weeks.  What happened during the first week?

2) how long did they stay in the 8C cave all together?  Did you move them to the regular fridge ( 2C) after the PC forms a white crust?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:36:25 PM by Penny C. Liam »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 01:32:54 AM »
HI Penny,  Just trying to find where I say 8 DegC - sorry that might be a mistype - I can't type  :o  Here is my ripening schedule
Day 0 - approx 5-7 day in my Cave @ approx 12-14 Deg C . the thermostat is only internal in the fridge so it's around that.  The thing I am waiting for is for the PC to cover the cheese in a fine white 'Peach Like' fuzz.  Now this isn't a full on matt covering so don't let it wait too long.  Also at this stage I flip and wipe out the ripening containers once a day.
Day 5-7 (when ever the fuzz layer is complete) I move them into the 4 DegC fridge.  In here I turn and wipe out the containers every OTHER Day and give them a little pet down - makes a nice flat layer in the end product.  They are in this for 6-8 weeks - now this is totally dependant on the desired firmness.  At 6 weeks there is still a little firm layer in the middle - I like that, some don't.  At 8 weeks they should be the same consistency all the way through. 
I don't tend to wrap mine because my lovely wife lets me use a shelf for my cheese in the house fridge.  But, that said, I wrap them if I'm giving as gifts or sharing at work - looks real neat 8). If you want to wrap them, use a proper cheese wrap.  If you use a 'cling' plastic wrap they sweat and get a funky smell real quick. You could use greaseproof (baking paper) for short periods I should think.
I have kept these going out 10-11 weeks - but they are real gooey by then and past their best -but some might like it like that.

Hope this is useful.

-- Mal

Penny C. Liam

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 03:45:18 PM »
Sorry about the 8C vs 4C, it's my mistake, nothing wrong with YOUR typing.  I've modified the post to not confuse anyone into thinking 8C is what you did.  My mistake.

Thanks for the reply.  In view of your comments, I think my cheeses got over-ripened when I kept them at 16C until they were completely fuzzy.  Another difference is that I prepared the Flora Danica culture rather than use the freeze dried form.  I figured if I cultured them, my dosing could be more consistent because the bacterial growth slow down as the pH decreases so that it is a self limiting process and causes the bacteria concentration to be more uniform, I think. So for my next trick, I'll get the fuzz going at a lower temperature.  Also, you added more milk solids as you add more cream.  Thanks for the help.  I'll keep you posted in a few months.  Right now I'm backed up in cheeses I have to eat.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 09:17:58 PM »
Penny,  I add extra cream to make the curd less permeable - so it takes longer for the re-solubilisation process to complete.  This has two main benefits.  It reduces the production of ammonia, hence the pH is not rising as fast, and also allows you to store them longer, I've had these out 11 weeks (though they were a bit too gooey for me !).  It is a form of what they call a stabilised curd - it also tastes great.   Can't wait to see some more of you cheeses, what else do you have going at the moment ?

-- Mal

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »
I'm guessing that the longer ripening time also leads to more flavor in the finished cheese -- at least, that seemed to be true for my version of "Malembert." Of course, all that extra cream doesn't hurt the flavor either. :)
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
Ummmm Cream.. sound like a cat..

The longer ripening certainly helps and I think using Flora Danica is a good choice in helping those 'buttery' notes.  I've made Cams with what I call my standard cultures MO 36R from Sacco, it was nice but, not as nice as F.D.

-- Mal

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 01:06:42 AM »
I made my previous "mals" using a mixture of MA11 and MD88 -- theoretically the bacteria in FD, but I just guessed at the proportions. I've got my second set of "mals" ripening in the fridge now, made with FD. Just have to wait for them to get ready ...
-- Andy

Penny C. Liam

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
Mal, I have a Reblochon that I just started eating.  Gooey, very gooey. I think that is what it is supposed to be, and it melts very nicely.  I managed to post one picture, but the others wont post although the pic is small.  The mystery of it all.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14743.0.html