Author Topic: Looking for Michigan Cheesemakers  (Read 6254 times)

Zinger

Looking for Michigan Cheesemakers
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
Ok, I'll be the first from Michigan to post a geographic post. I'm in west part of the state and if here are any other "cheesy" Michiganders out there that wants to share war stories, give me a shout.

Crackling Pine Farm

Re: Looking for Michigan Cheesemakers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:33:13 PM »
I'm in the middle of the mitten and have just started making some cheeses from my raw goat milk.  I know of a man near Charlotte I beleive who gives classes.  I will have to look his name up and come back.

Looks like this could be a very good site to keep track of.

Zinger

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
Welcome to the sight and cheesemaking, there are a few other Michiganders out there as well.

Crackling Pine Farm

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I found the name of the Cheese Smith in Charlotte...Gary Colles.  His phone number is 517 543 3629 and his website is cheesesmith.weebly.com.

Thanks for the welcome.  I look forward to learning a lot from the folks here.

csmith

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »
Hey! That's me.
I have been making cheese for 11 years and teaching 5 years with help from Margret, Rikki and Peter. Yes, that was name dropping.
Newer email address is cheesesmith.net

pclevenger

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
Hi...new from Pinckney...just stumbled across this site while waiting for the milk to ripen.  Started making cheese with Ricki about 4 months ago.  Much to learn.  Looks like a lot of information here!  :D  (wha'...it said cheesy...thot it apropos...)

--Phil

fastweedpuller

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »
Hi:  I am new-ish to cheesemaking (last 3 years or so) but have really upped my production since we got a goat!  It's super fun.  I am doing a lot of aged cheeses but also running the gamut of fresh and semi-aged. 

So happy to find fellow Michiganders!  I am looking for lots of recipes, especially for blues and of course goat-milk specific cheeses.  Also, any tips on equipment would be appreciated.

We're in the southwest corner of the state.  Come take a virtual visit:
http://fastgrowtheweeds.com/

Marta

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:12:15 PM »
Ann Arbor here.  Wishing there was a place to buy (or share!) supplies locally  :-\  I'd be happy to share war stories.  But I'm just now finding out how little I know about this. 

adalton

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »
I also live in Michigan, and am a culinary student.  I have started making cheese about a year ago, but just soft cheeses.  This winter I started making pressed cheeses and love it.  I too would love to share war stories, etc.  Michigan needs a cheese club!

Marta

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »
Fastweedpuller: I have oven envy.

Cheesemkr:  Whereabouts?