Author Topic: Vegetarian rennet question  (Read 4009 times)

MrsKK

Vegetarian rennet question
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
I have been asked about the sources of vegetarian rennet.  Specifically, this is from a person who cannot eat soy or corn products/byproducts in any way, shape, or form without having severe physical effects from it.  She loves cheese and has been looking at a brand of goat's milk cheese (her daughter is sensitive to cow's milk - poor family is really messed up!).  The label says "vegetarian rennet"...from reading on here, I know that most of it is extracted from mold, but what is used to feed that mold?  If it is corn or soy, she can't eat it without problems.

Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

linuxboy

Re: Vegetarian rennet question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »
Depends on the manufacturer. Each media formulation is different.

However, the purification process and the fermentation process would leave no trace amounts of soy or corn regardless of the media used. So when you say "soy or corn products/byproducts in any way, shape, or form ", I am not sure it applies in rennet manufacture using common biotechnological art.

I mean, when you manufacture soy peptone, for example, and then use that in the medium to ferment and produce chymosin from rhizomucor miehei, I don't see how that is a byproduct of soy.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:27:54 PM »
Yeah, she's pretty leery of anything even grown on soy or corn.  I will let her know.  Thanks!

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
I can appreciate that. Sometimes, media is reformulated. And if they're buying bulk, it's commoditized, making traceability really hard. There's no way to really know, basically. Still, it's a moot point given the processing methods.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 02:23:01 AM »
Well, I copied your reply and sent it off to her.  The decision is now in her hands.  Thanks for your help!

SiletzOregonFarm

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
Check the website where you purchased your rennet. I purchase mine from cheesemaking.com and they not only certify it as Kosher but show the following list of ingredients or allergens it does not contain, including no soy or wheat:

None of these Allergens
         X   Wheat   
     X   Other Cereals containing gluten   
     X   Crustaceans    
     X   Eggs   
     X   Fish   
     X   Peanuts    
         X     Soybeans
     X   Milk (including lactose)   
         X   Nuts   
     X   Celery   
     X   Mustard   
     X   Sesame Seeds   
     X   Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphits (> 10 mg/kg)   
     X   Lupin   
     X   Molluscs   

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 11:24:24 PM »
This one is gluten free Karen.

Product Description
Fromase Mucor Miehei
16 ounces liquid vegetarian rennet.  Non-GMO, gluten free vegetable rennet.  Enzyme produced by fermentation of Mucor Miehei in saline not to exceed 5%, Propylene Glycol, 2% Sodium Propionate and 0.1% Sodium Benzoate added as preservatives.

http://stores.cheeseconnection.net/liquid-vegetarian-rennet-16-ounces-double-strength/
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos