Author Topic: Hello from Canada  (Read 2369 times)

Frodage

Hello from Canada
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
I made my first wheel yesterday and had a blast! My goal is to make a reasonably good tasting Gouda-type. I could use general advice on this style, to ensure consistency.

John@PC

Re: Hello from Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »
Hi Frodage.  If I'm not mistaken Anonymous is quite knowledgeable on the subject of washed-curd cheeses and a bunch of other's out there (or rather here) that can help you.  It is a good choice for getting into pressed cheeses so you may as while learn from other's mistakes :).

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:04:03 AM »
Hi Frodage, welcome to the forum and congrats on your first wheel!

Here's what made my washed curd cheeses better over the years. They don't really mention these tips in most recipes:

*Whole milk is good, but you'll get a better result if you add a bit of partly skimmed milk to it. Aim for a Protein-to-Fat Ratio of 1.1:1 

* Know the exact amount of whey you drain and the exact amount of water you add. Don't eyeball it like they do in recipes. You'll need to have water at a precise temp before hand.

* Do the wash in 2 steps, taking note of time. ex.: raise to 95F in 5 mins. Stir 5 mins, then raise to 102F in 5 mins. you'll get a better control on the washing step this way.

* Careful not to scald the curds when adding water. So stir a little more vigorously when adding water, and only add small amounts at a time.

* Pressing under whey: This one took me time to figure out. I used to take the curds out and put them in the mould and then place the mould under whey and press 5lbs for 15-20 mins... it didn't work. For a near perfect paste every time, the curds simply CANNOT leave the whey for even half a second, otherwise you'll get some mechanical hole. So what I do now is I drain a bit of whey and then I simply add a pressing plate to the pot and add 5lbs (non buoyant) to it for 15-20 mins. Then drain. cut the curd mass in 1" pieces and place in mould for pressing. This is purely for aesthetic reasons.

* Pressing: don't press overnight. If you don't have a PH meter, then only press 4-8 hours.

* After pressing, leave the wheel in the mould without cloth and put it in the same area as the brine. Let the wheel reach the same temp as the brine before brining. The wheel shouldn'tacidify during this time. Brine between 10C and 16C.

* Aging: air-dry at 10C and age at 10C. You'll get mechanical holes at 12-13C especially if you used some MM100.

* Secret ingredient: L. Helviticus as a flavour control. Add a tiny amount to some MM100 or MA4001 plus some FD or Aroma B. (or you can simply use Choozit Kazu)

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing Anonymous and a cheese for your very thorough instructions ;).   I've been making for over 3 years now and wish I knew this from the start.  Your description of pressing under the whey and then milling is something I haven't seen, so I'm assuming that the 1" curd squares are soft and elastic enough to meld back together in the press using moderate pressure? 

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
Thanks for the cheese, John!

I use Caldwell's pressing technique from her book as described here:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13238.0.html

So, yes, The curd cubes are quite soft and warm. It really doesn't take much to press them at first. Work your way up to 3.5-4psi on the final press. Sometimes I flip up to 6 times during the 4 hours of pressing to prevent sticking. Curds will stick when the PH dives after about 90 minutes of pressing. (I forgot to mention that I suppose).

Being a fellow square-pan man, what I do for pressing under whey is I take a half-pan perforated bottom and line it with a ripening mat. I then insert that perforated bottom vertically on one side of the vat and push all the curds to the other side. I then drain a bit for more working space. Then I place another perforated half-pan bottom on top of all the curds pushed to one side and add 5LBS to it (non buoyant). I hold the whole contraption for about 1 minute, then its stable enough to leave it unsupervised.

I use 2 of these as a pressing plate and pushing plate:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/half-size-stainless-steel-steam-table-hotel-pan-false-bottom/4070200.html

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
Anonymous, what is your target PH while pressing?
-- Andy

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »
Whey PH (if you can get any at that point, try get a reading from your cheesecloth): 5.4
Curd PH : 5.25, no lower than 5.20

Curd PH is always lower than whey PH.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »
Thanks! I haven't (yet) made any washed curd cheeses since I've received my PH meter, but I have made some swiss-style cheeses, which also, I presume, need to reach a certain point of acidity before putting into brine. Do you know if I should be looking for the same PH target for these?
-- Andy

tally

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »
Anonymous, thanks so much for the directions on draining with the perforated pans. I have been racking my brain and rigging up all sorts of silly things trying to press the curds without getting them out of the whey. It's really hard to round up those curds while chasing them around the vat with a ladle. :'( A chees for you.

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
Being a fellow square-pan man, what I do for pressing under whey is I take a half-pan perforated bottom and line it with a ripening mat. I then insert that perforated bottom vertically on one side of the vat and push all the curds to the other side. I then drain a bit for more working space. Then I place another perforated half-pan bottom on top of all the curds pushed to one side and add 5LBS to it (non buoyant). I hold the whole contraption for about 1 minute, then its stable enough to leave it unsupervised.

I use 2 of these as a pressing plate and pushing plate:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/half-size-stainless-steel-steam-table-hotel-pan-false-bottom/4070200.html
I'm working on a mental picture of this ::).  You're using 1/2 size false bottoms but I'm pretty sure you full-size pan don't you?  If so when you push the curds to one side and then put the second mesh-and-bottom on top are you keeping the first mesh-and-bottom perpendicular to the second, or is the first slipped under the curds so one's on top and the other is on the bottom?

Spoons

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 11:46:16 PM »
With the left hand I push the curd to one side using a false bottom and a ripening mat. This is all done under whey. The mat keeps the tiny bits of curds from escaping to the "curdless" side. That would be what I call the PUSHING PLATE.

Once pushed, I put another half-pan false bottom on top of the curd mass along with a weight. No mat required. This is what i call the PRESSING PLATE.

I then hold the PUSHING PLATE and the mat in place for about a minute. Enough time for the curds to start merging underneath the PRESSING PLATE. Then you can leave the whole thing press under whey on its own, the 5lbs weight won't fall off.

John@PC

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 11:56:22 PM »
Your pictures are worth a thousand of my mental images!  Thanks Anon for taking the time to snap the pictures :).