Author Topic: Mold again, possible cure?  (Read 3088 times)

Brian

Mold again, possible cure?
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »
On a few of my stirred curd Cheddars, I have that small spots of that nasty green mold under the wax.  I hate cutting into it to remove it, and then rewax it because it looks bad after I do it.
Would it help if I wiped the wheel down with vinager before waxing it?

Brian

wharris

Re: Mold again, possible cure?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:41:20 PM »
I have a it of that too.  I've resigned myelf to keeping the mold washed off the outside as best as possiblem but plan to fully address this when it comes out of the cave. 

I have some bandaged wheels going into the cave here in a bit and plan on letting that mould over completely.  So, if I can let my cheese do that,  I guess I can let the waxed ones go too.

Somehow, i gotta get a better seal on my waxed cheeses.

thegregger

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »
Some online cheesemaking providers make a cream wax that contains mold inhibitors that you smear on your cheese prior to waxing.

Greg

Brian

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:36 PM »
Site?

Thanks

Brian

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:58:42 AM »
Brian, a few things, do you sanitize your equipment fully before use? Even the countertops? Are you using Pasteurized milk (doesn't need to be of course, raw is better, just curious)?

You could wipe it down before waxing, won't hurt anything. I'm sure you like the look of a waxed wheel but you can vacuum seal it that way you can get inside easier to clean the mold off.

Brian

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
Yea, I sanitize everything.  I'm going to try the vacuum bags.

thanks

wharris

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 02:17:02 PM »
I don't really like vacuum bags in that they deform my cheese to a degree.  Like the pillows and comforters in the infomercials, the vacuum applies pressure and squeezes the cheese.

I think it provids a great seal, but over time, it affects the way the cheese looks.

I unwrapped a 2lb wheel of cheese that was vacuum wrapped sealed and was disappointed in that the wrinkles in the vacuum bag made permanent impressions in the cheese.

I am thinking of gettign a shrink wrap machine.

Colaly

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
I use the vacuum bags because I had trouble with mold growing under the wax. I just couldn't wax completely without there being some tiny little hole for the mold to get into. When I vacuum seal I hit the cancel button before it has completely sucked the air out and then hit seal quickly while the bag is still tight. This way my cheese isn't too deformed. I like that the packaging is clear and I can see what is going on inside!

thegregger

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 03:06:14 AM »
thecheesemaker.com

Greg

chilipepper

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:29:44 AM »
My parmesans have the blues!! I've been following a pretty strict daily or every other day wash with vinegar and salt but still is an issue.  I think I'm going to keep washing for another week or so and then wax them.  Probably not the most ideal for a parmesan but I seem to be able to keep the mold at bay in my waxed cheeses.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 03:40:37 AM »
I have never had a problem with mold growing under the wax, but that is (I think) because I make sure the cheese is absolutely dry, and I use a slightly different technique while waxing.  Basically to get all of the crevices I lightly bounce the loaf of cheese against the top of the melted wax, getting a slight--and I mean slight--ripple action going.  It's like tapping against the very surface of the melted wax, to encourage it to 'micro splash' (for lack of a better term) into all the crevices and pores.  It doesn't result in the prettiest finish, but it does prevent holes.