Author Topic: Camembert Take 2  (Read 2992 times)

Trumpeteer

Camembert Take 2
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »
Okay so my first Camembert attempt did not go as planned,, two weeks in I noticed a really strong ammonia smell, a couple days later i finally decided to cut one open and they had slip skin,, not pretty. I want to try again and now I am determined to make this round work. So to that end what can i do differently to help ensure this does not happen again? 

In my first batch I used a combo of both PC and GEO 1/8 tsp PC and a teeny pinch of GEO to 8 L milk
and I aged at 54F and 90-95 % RH .

Any tips, tricks, or words of advice to a novice in how to deal with slip skin and prevent it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

SOSEATTLE

Re: Camembert Take 2
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 02:23:54 AM »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:10:49 AM »
Hi , Sounds exactly like my first attempts.  Persistence . . .  :o

Here is a link to my last Camembert make

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13412.0.html

and the one before that..

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12911.0.html

The ripening schedule.  So once the Cheese have been salted. I place them, by twos, in the ripening containers and into the 10-12 Degree C fridge - My cave. Then everyday for the first 5-7 Days, I open the containers, wipe the containers dry, Flip the cheese. If the surface conditions are good then a very light fuzzy coating should be visible. Sometimes this is not visible until 8-10 days - but wait until you see the covering is all over the cheese. 

Here's the secret - as soon as the very light fuzzy growth covers the cheese, they need to go into the 4 Degree C - normal fridge, in their containers.  Its a bit like cooking chicken breast, do it on a red hot BBQ you get burnt on the outside and raw in the middle, cool the grill off and perfectly grilled chicken.  These are the same.  If you leave them at the 10-12 degree mark too long the mould just goes to town on the cheese consuming Lactate (not lactose). It actually changes the PH (raises it again) of the outside of the cheese soo fast that the rest of the cheese can't adjust fast enough - hence ammonia and water. By putting them in the 4 degree C fridge allows the gradual pH change to occur through the cheese. The mould really only starts this process but you don't want to sprint off the blocks - It's a marathon.

While in the 4 degree C fridge, every two days open the containers, wipe the container dry, flip the cheese. After about 5 weeks of this you will see and feel a gradual softening from the outside going into the centre.  I actually like the cheese at this stage, it has a nice creamy paste on the outer and a still firmish - slightly tangy centre.  The tangy bit is the pH of the centre being lower (more acid) than the outside.  Eventually about 8 weeks it will all be gooey and you will probably need a spoon to eat it  :o

To wrap - or not !!

I tend not to wrap unless I'm giving as gifts or my lovely wife requires the fridge space.  If you are going to wrap make sure it's the double layered cheese wrap like this

http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/cheeseaccessories_cheesewrap.html#cheese_wrap

I hope that helps !!

-- Mal       
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Trumpeteer

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:11:38 PM »
So I tried again and this time no slip skin!  Just goes to show a little advice from more experienced cheese makers and a little persistence pays off..  This batch took a bit longer than the last as I did most of the ripening at around 40-45 F as opposed to the ~55F  that I tried the first round. Overall I'm just amazed as to how well it turned out I may still make a few modifications to my process but really I think this is now a staple cheese for me.

Trumpeteer

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 12:18:37 AM »
WaaHoo !!
A Cheese for you
If I could award more in a day
I'd give you two !!

This is a wonderful result - Congrats !!!  There is an added bonus to the slower ripening - the skin on the outside tends to be thinner hence, making it nicer to eat.. You'll never eat a store bought Cam again - not by choice anyway !!   :o

Well Done

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »
Delicious! Keep up the good work...

A cheese for you.

:-) Danbo

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »
So I tried again and this time no slip skin!  Just goes to show a little advice from more experienced cheese makers and a little persistence pays off..  This batch took a bit longer than the last as I did most of the ripening at around 40-45 F as opposed to the ~55F  that I tried the first round. Overall I'm just amazed as to how well it turned out I may still make a few modifications to my process but really I think this is now a staple cheese for me.

Trumpeteer

Nice!  I'm following in your footsteps, almost exactly.

Your perseverance is motivating and worthy of a cheese. 
- Andrew

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 02:03:27 AM »
Looks delicious  ^-^

Susan