Author Topic: Swiss style # 3  (Read 11370 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Swiss style # 3
« on: November 17, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
I have made my second and third swiss-style cheeses over the past two weekends, and with some trepidation, I am sharing photos and make notes here. I would much welcome input on things I should be doing differently!

Basic recipe from Rikki Carroll's Home Cheese Making (Traditional Swiss, p. 122).

3 gallons whole milk (Hunter Farm brand from Harris Teeter, a local grocery chain)
3/4 tsp CaCl
3/16 tsp TA061
3/16 tsp PS
1/8 tsp LH100
1/2 tsp single strength liquid calf rennet (bought from Artisan Geek)
saturated brine

• Milk was brought to 90˚ F (overshot to 93˚); CaCl added and stirred in; cultures sprinkled on, let hydrate 5 minutes, stirred in. Cultured for 10 minutes.
  • 1/2 tsp rennet mixed into 1/4 cup of water added. Allowed to set up for 30 minutes. Clean break (picture 1 below).
  • Cut into 1/4" rows and columns vertically (picture 2). Using a new cutter (pictures 3, 4, 5, described below), cut into 1/4" horizontally (picture 6 shows result).
  • Stirred for 40 minutes while holding at 90˚ F (picture 7; temperature had drifted back down to target by this time).
  • Temperature raised to 120˚ over approximately 40 minutes (a bit slower than called for in the book);
  • Stirred at 120˚ for another 10 minutes (book called for 30, but curd felt right -- pictures 8 and 9) and let rest for 5
  • Drained (picture 10; whey reserved to make ricotta) and put in mold (picture 11).
  • Pressed for 6-7 hours, flipping 3-4 times, increasing weight from 7.5 lbs initially to 30 lbs final. Knit was good; weight after pressing was 2.93 lbs. (picture 12)
  • Put in saturated brine for 15 hours, removed, patted dry, put in "cave" to dry for a week. Weight after brining was 2.85 lbs.

-- Andy

Spoons

Re: Swiss style # 3
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »
Those are some amazing looking pea sized curds, awakephd! Very consistent. Nice horizontal cutter too! Clever design! I'm sure a lot of people here would like to get their paws on such a cutter! Well done!

Now for the tough part; waiting. Let us know how it turns out.

A cheese for you!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
More about the cutter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »
The cutter that I used to make the horizontal cuts is based on the design discussed here: http://cheesemakinghelp.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/making-horizontal-curd-cutter.html and in replies 5 and 7 here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13102.msg101584.html#msg101584

Mine seeks to improve on these designs in a a couple of ways. First, the materials in contact with the cheese are stainless steel. The vertical rod is 5/16" diameter, with grooves machined into it at precise 1" intervals--more about these in a minute. The thin horizontal rod is a piece of 3/32" stainless TIG welding rod. (I considered using 1/16" rod, but it seemed like it might not be quite stiff enough.) The horizontal rod fits through a hole drilled in the vertical rod; this fit is a loose sliding fit, so that the two can be assembled and disassembled easily. All of this allows the key pieces to be put in the dishwasher and to be sterilized in boiling water before use.

Second, the hub through which the vertical rod passes is machined to allow indexing of the rod for 1", 1/2", or 1/4" horizontal cuts as desired. This hub should be made out of stainless also, so that it too can be tossed in the dishwasher. Unfortunately, I do not yet have any stainless on hand of a suitable diameter, so I made this one out of mild steel; I will replace it down the road when I acquire the appropriate material. Another option would be to make this hub out of a food-grade plastic ... but again I don't have any of suitable size on hand. The hub is machined to 5/8" diameter over most of its length, with a flange of 1" diameter; there is a 5/16" diameter through this hub. The 5/8" diameter is cut with 4 slits, spaced 1/4" apart; the slits are deep enough to intersect the 5/16" hole by about 1/16" of an inch.

In use, this hub is set into a wooden cross piece sized to fit over the pot. There is a 3/8" diameter hole drilled through this cross piece, through which the 5/16" rod passes. There is also a 1" diameter hole counter sunk to accept the flange of the hub; the counter sunk is drilled to a depth that leaves the hub just sitting proud of the surface. As can be seen in the pictures, this allows the hub to be secured firmly to the crosspiece with three screws and washers, but also easily removed for cleaning.

The final key element of this design is the set of four hitch pins modified to fit on the hub so that the straight leg lies in one of the slits in the hub, and the bent side clicks in place on the round side of the hub. These hitch pins engage the grooves machined in the 5/16" diameter stainless vertical rod. Since the grooves are machined at 1" intervals, one can index the rod at 1" intervals by inserting one hitch pin into the hub. To get 1/2" indexing, insert two hitch pins in the 1st and 3rd (or 2nd and 4th) slit. To get 1/4" indexing, insert all four hitch pins.

To cut the curd, the cutter is assembled minus the hitch pins; the cross piece is set over the pot, and the cutter is let down through the curd until it hits bottom. The desired hitch pins are then inserted into place. The handle is used to sweep through 180˚; since the cutter extends to both sides, this will make a complete horizontal cut. The rod is then raised until a hitch pin clicks into place, indexing it and holding it so that the cutter can be swept through another 180˚. The rod is raised until the next hitch pin clicks into place, and the process is repeated. Even when indexing at 1/4" intervals, it takes very little time to complete all of the horizontal cuts.

I experimented with making the horizontal cuts first in my previous swiss make, and found that that does not work as well as making the vertical cuts first. The problem is that the weight of the curd tends to press it back together before the subsequent vertical cuts are made. By making the vertical cuts first, there is enough room, and enough whey starting to be released, to allow the cubes to move a bit when released by the horizontal cuts.
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
A question about yield
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
I mentioned that the make shown above was my third effort at a swiss style. My first effort was 8 months or so ago, and the results were surprisingly good. My second effort was a week ago, so it has just now finished the initial drying / ripening and has come out of the cave for some eye formation.

Oddly, even though both of these makes (#2 and #3) followed the same recipe, I got a rather different yield -- 2.85 lbs after brining for #3, but only 2.55 after brining for #2. And while that doesn't sound all that different, the difference in height is very noticeable. I am too green to know whether this reflects something I did differently in the make, or if it reflects differences in the milk (even though the same brand).

BTW, thanks, Anonymous, for the cheese! Yes, I am pleased with how the cutter is working. I was writing while you were posting. :)

-- Andy

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »
I was writing while you were posting. :)

Disappointing, I thought you were on fire!  ;) Haha!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
Wow, just came to this, Awake.  Indeed, beautiful looking curds, well done!  Looking forward to hearing more of this.  And a double-cheese day, another one for you for such a great cheese and beautiful chronicling.
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
Nice work Dr.  You'll be teaching classes  ;) before you know it.   There is probably a rule for giving more than 2 cheeses in one day so I'll save one for the "cutting ceremony".

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »
Thanks, John!   :)
-- Andy

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:53:31 AM »
A cheese for you for lovely looking curds but also for your improvements to the cutter design. A nice piece of engineering. It is interesting to see the evolution of this design.
- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »
Thanks! John and I are conspiring on how to improve the design further ... stay tuned ...
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
Love the cutter---have to make one.  Just a thought----have you tried a bevel below each slot---and then use a flat thin spring---like the sear in a firing mechanism in a fire arm.? You would just have to pull up as many notches as you wish and it would automatically snap in place. Might have to go with a little heavier main rod.
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:22:47 PM »
Qdog, I am having trouble visualizing what you have in mind. Any chance you can point me to a picture of the firearm version you are thinking about?
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
Update: B. linens!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »
I believe I have "contracted" my first case of B. linens. The Swiss-style I made a couple of weeks ago is on the left in the picture below, with the one I made a week later (and wrote up above) shown on the right. Not as obvious in the picture as it is in person, but the one on the left has a distinctly reddish/orange hue and has quite the "dirty socks" smell to it. I didn't really want the B. linens, but now that I have it, I look forward to seeing how it influences the final product!
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
Here's a quick drawing---not to scale----if you can't make it out let me know, I could email drawing.
  The first drawing is the sear concept-----the second is the way I will go----so I don't have to make a bunch of bevel cuts on my antique lathe.
Qdog

John@PC

Re: Update: B. linens!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »
I didn't really want the B. linens, but now that I have it, I look forward to seeing how it influences the final product!
Here's my prediction based on personal experience: you will love it and your wife will, well, want you to cut the rind off  :).  For most of my Alpine cheeses I intentionally do a BL wash.  It prevents other surface molds from taking hold, kind of like Armour-All is to plastic (bad analogy, I know).   I do love the flavor accents it adds but it will be a stinky to the unitiated.