Author Topic: First Parmesan  (Read 4990 times)

Zinger

Re: First Parmesan
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
My Parmesan seems to have a nice rind, but then again this being my first attempt I really don't know what I should expect out of my rind at this stage. Nevertheless I think everything is going well. I am aging it in a typical dorm fridge, but my humidity level is registering as "very high", which is the default reading when the humidistat reading exceeds it's upper end. I am assuming that this is the case due to the moisture the cheese is throwing off. Should I keep the cheese out of the fridge for a while yet to allow it to dry out more? Also, the temp reading is in the upper forties even with the fridge turned off, I assume that I need to put a different thermostat on the fridge.

wharris

Re: First Parmesan
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 07:08:31 PM »
Parmesan should be aged in an environment that is between 54°F-59°F in temp, and between 70%-80% in relative humidity.  Most fridges will not suffice as they rarely get above 45°F or 35%RH.

My recommendation would be to purchase a thermometer/hygrometer combo.  You can get them from 20-100 USD online.  This will at least tell you where you are relative to Parmesan's aging requirements.