Author Topic: Young Romano.....WOW!  (Read 5103 times)

Likesspace

Young Romano.....WOW!
« on: March 31, 2009, 02:18:55 AM »
Hi guys....
Well tonight I was nearly starving to death and cheese seemed to be the thing that would satisfy my hunger.
Well a couple of weeks ago I read an article on Romano cheese and found that this is a cheese that is aged for several months for a hard grating cheese, or is eaten young as a table cheese.
Well since I was wanting something to eat and since I have patience issues, cracking my Romano made two months ago seemed like the perfect solution.
Well guys, I honestly don't know that I will ever let a Romano go to the point that it will be suitable for grating.
This cheese was the closest thing I've ever tasted to a commercial Monterey Jack.
The texture is soft, smooth, moist and creamy and the flavor is nearly identical to a commercial Jack.
I've decided that to make the perfect pepper jack, this is the base to use and quite honestly the next rainy weekend day I have I will be giving this a try.
My wife and all three of my daughters have pronounced this the best cheese I've ever made and I really have to agree with them (other than my Stiltons and my latest wheel of Camembert).
One thing that I did do with this Romano is I waxed it, right out of the brine. I know this is a cheese that is not supposed to be waxed, but my cave is not good for humidity so I figured it was the best way to go. Believe me when I say that all future Romanos will also be waxed since this cheese turned out better than I could ever have hoped for.
It really feels good to turn out a total success every no and then.
In the past I've made good cheese......mediocre cheese and downright awful cheese, but this one is a definite winner.
I can't wait to try it with some peppers to see how it turns out.

Dave

wharris

Re: Young Romano.....WOW!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
That's good data to have.  Thanks.

Hard to believe that the cheese i slid into the cave last night will not see the light of day till 4/1/2010.

tick tock.......

I think i'll pull up a folding chair in front of it and just listen to it aging tonight.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:09:37 PM by Wayne Harris »

thegregger

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »
Dave:

Great to hear about your success.  Nice work.

Greg

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:12:08 AM »
Wayne just let me know when it starts talking to you.

wharris

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »
Start?  Hell, I can't get it shut up.

Estes

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:13:35 PM »
Haha...

I find it interesting that all of the recipes that I have read are SO close that just a minor variation in temp, aging, whatever, will provide a completely different result than what was originally intended.

Such an interesting and rewarding process.

wharris

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
Likespace said it best.  Cheesemaking is all about managing the subtlety of the steps.

Brian

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 04:25:49 PM »
Start?  Hell, I can't get it shut up.

Eat me, eat me.....................

LOL

Brian

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 01:07:36 AM »
Growing up in an Italian family with my grandparents fresh off the boat Romano was always a "table cheese." We would grate older Parmesans and provalones for spaghetti but never Romano it would be eatten with fresh hot bread or soft bread sticks like an appetizer. I think the only time I remember seeing it grated was on onion soup.

Likesspace

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:57:02 AM »
Debi....
After eating on this cheese for the past week, I've decided that it is the best cheese I've made to date.
I have changed my opinion on the flavor of the cheese though......it really tastes nearly exactly like store bought mozzarella!
I still think it is the perfect candidate for adding some peppers since it has a very moist, soft and creamy texture and even though Mozzarella/pepper cheese might not sound especially appetizing, I really think it will go well together.
My wife and kids really can't get enough of this one and I've found myself having to do especially hard workouts simply because of the extra calories I've been nibbling into my diet. It really is so good it's hard to stay away from it.
Thanks for the information on it being a traditional Italian table cheese.
Being as Irish as it gets, this is information I was not aware of (or, maybe I was too drunk to remember that I heard it).  :D

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 03:00:13 AM »
Dave  -

I think the way cheeses are used vary from culture to culture. With such a mixture as we have in the US it's a wonder we have any traditions left! I would be innterested in an Irish cheese if I knew of one.

wharris

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:14:19 AM »