Author Topic: How Tell If Forced Air Type Fridge?  (Read 2403 times)

aiannar974

How Tell If Forced Air Type Fridge?
« on: March 31, 2009, 08:29:41 AM »
I have read through the homemade cheese cave posts.  There are a lot of references to force / non force air fridges.  How can you tell if a fridge is a force air fridge?

Thank you,

Anthony

wharris

Re: How Tell If Forced Air Type Fridge?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »
Most refrigerators have a little fan in them and the coils are hidden.  The shelves are glass or plastic.  That is a forced air refrigerator..

If, however, the cooling coils are actually in the shelves, like mine, and there is no fan, then that is non forced air.

An example of a non-forced air fridge is here

aiannar974

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:36:26 PM »
Hello Wayne - I read that post last night and saw that you decided to sell the freezer because of humidity issues.  Did you do this or did it end up working out?  I walked away from my reading last night thinking a forced air fridge was not good and one with the coils in the shelf was not good (didn't know this was a non forced air fridge).  Which now makes me think a fridge or a freezer is not a good way to go.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On another note.  I see you are a wine maker.  I have been making wine since 1990 and I used to work harvest season at a winery in Erie, Pa.  I just bottle my 2007 Merlot and Chardonnay.  In 2009 I only made Cab Sauv.  Where do you get your grapes?  I got my white from greater Erie area and the red from Lodi CA.

Thank you,

Anthony

wharris

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
I am limping along with my freezer.  RH is at 85%-90%.  I find myself keeping it open on occiasion. 

I am either gonna get a regular fridge, or, just convert a small room in my house to cheese/wine.

I get my grapes from Presque Isle Winery.  This last year I picked some of their Chancellor grapes. I also get Cab/Sauv from California.

aiannar974

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »
That's the winery I worked at.  I worked harvest season during the weekends for about 5 years in the early nineties.  It was a great learning experience.  Its a beautiful location and great people.  Cheese is new to me other than mozzarella.

Anthony