Author Topic: New fogging systems for larger caves  (Read 3320 times)

John@PC

New fogging systems for larger caves
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
Due to popular demand (that includes you too, Paul ;)) PC has added a new line of fogging systems for larger caves.  Normally I wouldn't post what may be construed as an advertisement but I know from people who have contacted us that there are an increasing number of cheese makers out there expanding their caves and find it difficult to maintain humidity, especially when using A/C with or without CoolBot controllers.  We've also heard from small artisan farms and creameries that their options are either "do-it-yourself" with humidifiers (which are often don't do the job) or go to very expensive dry fogging systems.  Thus far we have sent out three of our fogging systems for caves in the 500 to 1,000 cu. ft range and so far have had good feedback.   

I must give a big hat-tip to Eric (aka. Spoons) as a month or so ago he posted a link to a similar product which led us to this new product line.  We're working together with The House of Hydro who sells the generators (sometimes called pond misters or foggers), and we are going to furnish distribution systems for their customers for hydroponic applications.  If anyone on the forum is interested or have had experience with UF you can email or message me.

Spoons

Re: New fogging systems for larger caves
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
Nice work, John! I first thought of using the fog device with totes, not pails. Your pails will make switching/carrying water much easier.

Now I have cave envy again.

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:57:47 PM »
Thanks Anon.  I have cave envy too but I'm  able to live vicariously with those with "real" caves (still working a deal to get their cheese :)).  Totes are a really good option for those that need more water volume (or as one of our customers said when they go away for a weekend) but if you really need a bigger tote or container you can use a drill, scissors or knife  to cut a hole in the top for the fan unit and another for the "vent".  We will be adding the "Fog Fan" box for the ones out there that want to DIY with their container of choice.

I will add that you can put a "fogger" into a bucket and get mist and water vapor, but you do need a fan to "push" that mist out of your container or else a lot of the vapor will settle down into the bottom of the container and condense.   

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
Very cool!
-- Andy

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 05:40:33 AM »
John, just came to this.  My cave is working well with my 2 little teardrop UHs but they're a bit of a pain to constantly refill daily, and I've rigged a kind of rough ductwork to throw the fog out over the cave (else, it just sinks to the floor).  Constant 93-94% (or any level I want), 51F, but again, cumbersome.  I'm definitely intrigued. 

Can you please explain a bit more.  What's the fan for?  Does the fog go through the little elbow, or up through your fan?  If you come from outside with some PVC ductwork, is there a problem with the fog condensing and dropping out (as water, in the duct), as it reaches the cool cave?
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 01:33:11 AM »
Can you please explain a bit more.  What's the fan for?  Does the fog go through the little elbow, or up through your fan?  If you come from outside with some PVC ductwork, is there a problem with the fog condensing and dropping out (as water, in the duct), as it reaches the cool cave?
  The fan is to "push" the mist out as it's generated.  You can put a fogger in a bucket or tank and like you say it will generate mist but will sink down to the bottom and re-condense, so you get a lot more vapor with a fan.  The fog does go through the elbow and the fan is blowing down into the container to keep moisture from condensing in the fan unit. 

As for ductwork you can duct it up higher to get better distribution in your cave.  Yes, some of the moisture will condense in the duct so if you do this you want to arrange the ductwork so it drains back to the bucket.  Here is a video (it's a rough cut I did a while ago) but at the end you will see how you can duct the mist "up".

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »
Well, John, this looks very cool.  Watched the video.  Couple of questions. 

Right now, as I said, my setup seems to be working well, but it's all patchwork and so forth.  My "ductwork" is laughable, just a couple of PVC sections literally placed on top.  Any condensate tends to spill out and on the floor (I have a pan).  I also have to remove the teardrop tank to refill, can't simply pour through top.  Pain. 

They also have to be themselves placed high up, as they don't have a driving fan, like yourself.  The foggers themselves are the only delivery system.  Plenty of fog, but little pressure, so everything has to be placed high up to allow dispersal to be high enough in the cave to have the hope of good dissemination. 

Your variable fan speed is cool. 

I've a 236 c.f. cave only.  I'd like to considerably oversize, as this cave is too small and even for a pilot cave, I'd like to build a better cave. 

I'd like to place my fogging system on the floor.  Buys me space on the left to do things like washing, and on the right, my shelves. 

So presuming something like 6' of headspace, sizing and/or configuration recommendations, to do this nice dispersal?

Sorry for my ignorance, but more heads, more fog, yes?  Sizing recommendations here to maintain 92-94% RH, cave growing from 236-maybe double or even triple that?  Can one setup handle both well, presuming good digital control (as you know, I have the 24 VAC controller now). 

Any way to build a longer extension chord? I may end up with the unit inside the cave, and for safety reasons, I'd prefer not to have to join the unit to an extension chord inside the cave. 

Finally, ideally if it would work well, yes, placing the unit outside while piping the fogging inside would buy me considerable real estate.  Just any issues besides what you've mentioned with rise and run of the ductwork, and head pressure, etc.

Nicely done, John. Cheese to you, my friend.

Edit:  pics.  You can see my lovely duct fogging system left.  The right rising duct on back wall is my coolbot ductsock system, which works well. 

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:58:43 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Spoons

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »
Here is a video (it's a rough cut I did a while ago) but at the end you will see how you can duct the mist "up".

Cool video, John! I'm surprised at the 1-head output, imagine the output coming out of the 3, 5 or even 12-head units... I'm surprised at the ceiling height duct too! I expected the vapour to condensate halfway through. I think this setup is a game changer for room-sized caves and beyond.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
I'm surprised at the ceiling height duct too! I expected the vapour to condensate halfway through.

That was what I was wondering, too.  But the cool thing is that if it does, it just goes back into the tank.  And agree, this is a game changer!
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 12:28:17 AM »
I'm surprised at the ceiling height duct too! I expected the vapour to condensate halfway through. I think this setup is a game changer for room-sized caves and beyond.
This was in my sunroom so the temperature was considerably higher than in a cheese cave (but an intersting effect was that it made my sunroom very comfortable :)).  Vapor will condensate and drain down the duct at lower temperatures so I'm looking for a good way to insulate the duct to reduce that effect. 

Paul:  Thanks for the cheese and I'll contact you offline on your questions as I have some (offline) questions for you as well :).