Author Topic: Blue cheese  (Read 2405 times)

thebelgianpanda

Blue cheese
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:20 PM »
I started a blue cheese a week or so ago and haven't looked at it for awhile, so I took a peek inside the cave today and low and behold, it really is blue!  My question though is this--though there isn't any black mold or fuzzyness, it does smell mighty musty.  Is this okay?  I'm flying blind on this one and since I won't even attempt to try a piece for another sixty days or so, any insight into what it's supposed to look/smell like while it is aging would be appreciated.

--edit: moved images to another host
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:10:22 PM by thebelgianpanda »

Tea

Re: Blue cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
Ok, first up, I can't see the pics, so I just offering suggestions here.  I was reading my book on blues, as i am wanting to try one, and it said that the exterior mould can be straped off regularly if you want.  If left on, is would develop a rather strong smell.

So maybe that is what you are experiencing?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:26:32 AM »
Wow, very cool looking cheese.

Yes it will smell musty, not a problem. Some blues due to their againg environment can get slimy and that should be scraped off monthly or whenever you fancy. But a rind like yours is perfect don't mess with it. If this is a regular blue did you salt the outside? Because most regular blues develop blue very slowly on the outside becasue of the salting of the rind.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:30:18 PM »
No, I didn't salt the rind, just brined it for an hour before I added the inoculation to the outside and the holes (yeah, I screwed up by forgetting to add it to the curd itself).

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what happens but it will still be a good cheese.

wharris

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »
Those are fantastic pictures.  I like the fact that you have a background.  Most of my pictures include unintended background items like my dogs or laundry.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 05:26:26 PM »
I'll post some links I found for building a $10 lightbox and photography technique in just a minute, but it's really, really easy to take good pics even with a cheap camera.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:44:08 AM »
Nice looking cheese Panda!