Author Topic: Homogenized milk  (Read 1131 times)

greenhome

Homogenized milk
« on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
The only cow's milks that I have access to are homogenized. Is there something I should be doing, or adding, to counteract this when making cheese?

TimT

Re: Homogenized milk
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
Some folks add calcium chloride. I don't bother myself. It probably depends a bit on the type of milk, I sometimes wonder if the milks we get in Australia are less processed than those in the US in some way. Dunno. Just avoid using UHT milk because that stuff is just tasteless and has almost nothing in it for the cheese bacteria to be interested in.

greenhome

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »
I was in the US earlier this year and all the cream was ultra pasteurized and the list of ingredients was a mile long! The better stuff was only available in special stores.

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 11:23:43 PM »
I was in the US earlier this year and all the cream was ultra pasteurized and the list of ingredients was a mile long! The better stuff was only available in special stores.
That was one thing that surprised me when I started making cheese.  I did fine with regular homogenized milk (not UP) but for the life of me I could'nt find cream that wasn't UP :(.  I've solved that problem by finding a great quality cream line milk close by (they're price did go up, from $4.75 to $4.79 :)) so I can decant the cream if I need it.  Keep looking and hopefully you will find a good source.

TimT

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
It really shouldn't be so hard to get a good cream, should it? Until a year or so ago Bulla were running a line of 'pure' cream in the supermarkets, just about the only one you could find regularly. But even they've discontinued that line now, in favour of something with gelatine in it. Rule of thumb; if you're looking for a good cream, look for the list of ingredients. If it has a list of ingredients, it's not a good cream.

The problem as always is the distributors and producers are trying to standardise a product that is wonderfully unstandardised. They take all the life out of it.