Author Topic: Reblochons making weekend  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Reblochons making weekend
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:08 AM »
I have three questions about my reblochons make this weekend.

1 is it 1 gallon per reblochon / mini tomme mold ?
2  when I raise the temp of aging fridge to 61f   For a few days is it better for my tommes to go into the big fridge Or stay where they are?

3 if pasturizing milk effects the calcium does it have the same effect on  whey brine when you heat it to sanitize?

Thanks every one.

John@PC

Re: Reblochons making weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:37:23 PM »
I don't know what the dia. of a "mini" tomme mold is but you want a low profile for a reblochon so if it's 5 to 6" dia. it should be fine.  I would think the tommes would be happy for a while at 61F (they probably think they're on spring break :)).  As for (3) I have no idea but it's a good question.  I don't use whey brine but I do sanitize my (water+salt) brine when it gets a bit long in the tooth.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Reblochons making weekend
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 12:16:51 AM »
Thanks john @pc.     I have 2 molds about 5 by 3  ad the whey is filling them a little more than they should after 2 hrs of pressing . I hope they end up a little thinner as they are too thin to cut in half and  thick to end up thin enough to get gooey  all the way to the center when finished.

My biggest problem is that the  raw milk is so fresh that it buffers too well and takes many hrs just to move from 6.66 to 6.60 , I am thinking of making a starter over night next time to kick it off faster.   It is way too easy to run out of day making cheese with this milk while trying to hit ph markers.