Author Topic: John's Cheese #036 - Cambozola #1  (Read 8898 times)

Captain Caprine

Re: John's Cheese #036 - Cambozola #1
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
I have a couple of cheeses wrapped now and hopefully my wife is flipping them as I asked. . I just arrived in Badenweiler Germany for a business trip.  Tasted the local pilsner for a couple of hours and now its after midnight and I have to try to get on local time.  I'll post picks when I get back next week.  From general observations it seemed like it took about 3 extra days to get a good whit mold growth when inoculating by straying instead of mixing in the curd but Penicillium did not overgrow the Candidum.
CC

Tea

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
Ok you pair, still waiting patiently for an update on this cheese!

Cheese Head

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 04:24:53 PM »
Tea, sorry for delay, just updated my OP records and added 2 pictures from yesterday when cut one of the remaining 3.

Garbaged all three. Basically as above I think my core problem is first stage aging (mold growth) at too warm a temp. resulting in excess rind growth and eventually liquid insides. Zero evidence of blue mold, white mold 100% dominates, for this batch anyway.

Of interest, my Camembert #6 that I also initially aged at too high a temp was when cut, very runny but had some remaining solid pate in middle, whereas this older one was 100% runny. Which leads me to think that the P candidum softens cheese over time.

Onward and upward . . . I need to get my Camembert making down pat before trying another Cambozola.

Captain Caprine: How is your Cambozola experiment going?

Likesspace (Dave): Have you tried one yet?

Tea

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »
Oh boy John, they were sure runny!  I wonder what happened to the blue?  I  still havent' been able to make cheese due to no milk supply yet.  Getting really frustrated, as this is one of the first cheeses that I want to make.